tamiya stang

dashotgun

Shotgun,

Love the details so far; I'm with Maru though - looking forward to an update. I'm getting ready to build the same kit and even picked up that shelf you have from Ikea to park it when finished.

Joe

almost done. I should not have added the antenna it broke off I may just see if

Tamiya will send a new one or just glue the snaped off one back. Left to do the pitot tube and landing light and the rear view mirror plus the antenna are all that is left for building. I did not like the way the front canopy sits may have to pry off and redo. I want to take some photos of the engine compartment. The top cover is warped( I think this is very common and leaves a gap on the ac port side right where the front decal will go this is unacceptable so I will take some pictures then seal it up and put the decals on and it is done.

mustang3-1.jpg

mustang2.jpg

mustang.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. I checked pictures of the squadron and they did have the antenna Tamiya is sending another so I will drill out the residual and replace it. I was able to pry the windscreen off it is not glued yet still does not sit perfectly. My only complaint with the model is that with the choices of engine compartment open and wheels up or down some of the panels do not fit as perfectly as the ones that do not move, it may be also my skills in fitting them. Here are some more pictures before I glue down the engine compartment panels I will build another with them off and probably a third these are nice models and I love mustangs.

mustang4-1.jpg

mustang9.jpg

mustang8-1.jpg

mustang7-1.jpg

mustang6-1.jpg

mustang5.jpg

Cpig,

Right click on image.

Left click on 'Properties' in drop-down menu.

Highlight and copy Address: (URL)

Open new tab.

Copy URL in http:// location

Left click on 'Refresh'

Photo will appear

Sincerely,

Mark

sorry about that I posted these on a few boards and my bandwidth was exceeded. it will reset tomorrow if you right click and copy the url and paste into a new window then you can see them now. I think the final version will be done this weekendcoolio.gif

Edited by dashotgun

Guest Peterpools

Very nice work and progress on your P-51. Glad you went with Roys' cockpit decals as they make a huge difference. The finished Mustang looks great and thanks for the heads up about the fit problems, something I need to keep mind of. Very curious as to how you did the finish on your P-51.

Wonderful build.

Peter

:speak_cool:

Edited by Peterpools

the body s alclad duralum with some highlights of polished aluminum and dark over a black less hot lacquer base coat. The wings were coated with tamiya primer and partial filled to rid the panel lines and then painted with old silver floquil thinned with lacquer thinner. I did end up gluing the engine access panels down as the front decal over laps them. It was from the cutting edge pyn up series and was incredibly thin and would not have worked spanning the panels. I loved building this model probably the best model I have ever built not to say there are always some problems. I do not like the way the front part of the wind screen ended up fitting if you are early in your build put it on before you paint to fiddle with it. There also gaps where the the panel goes to cover the removable wheels. Since mine is cemented wheels down and I added the panel after I painted it did not fair them in. Next time live and learn. I also bought the hobby decals dry transfers which will not stick to alclad they are great and did well with snj but alclad is to smooth something that they noted on their website.

Edited by dashotgun

first of the finished pictures I want to set up some diorama types when the weather cooperates. I ended up gluing the engine access plates down unsure.gif. The windscreen is still not flat and needs to be pried up and reglued other wise it is done. I enjoyed the build not without its challanges. First time with alclad in 15 years it went on beautifully I am pleased how it came out and will build more.

sweet2.jpg

mustangsweet.jpg

Edited by dashotgun