De Havilland Sea Venom - Revell (Matchbox) 1:32

Butler

Is it too late to join the GB at this last minute? If not, please feel free to move this to the normal members build area :lol:

I bought this kit cheap on ebay, the idea being to take it's engine for my Meteor build and sell the kit on at a discount. I'm pretty indifferent to this plane, however it's occured to me that I haven't had a chance to use the airbrush I got for Christmas yet ;)

I've never used an airbrush before and I don't really want my first go to be on one of my good builds, hence this!

I've only spent about 2 hours on this build so far and already got this far! This is going to be a very basic build - not adding any detail and spending the time on the paint finish.

I have to say I haven't experienced any of the fit issues I've heard about. With this in my mind I chose a slightly odd sequence to put the parts together - I built all of the fuselage and air intakes as one piece, built the wings and entire tail boom assembly as one piece, then glued the two parts together. I've been very lucky and all the parts have matched with minimal problems :lol:

post-4669-1234634986.jpg

Nice to see another one of your builds in progress Butler, and nice to see another Sea Venom too. Even though you've only just started yours, it looks like you'll beat mine to the finish line easily!

So you didn't have any fit issues with the left engine intake? I'm glad if you didn't, but it makes me feel even more ham-fisted than I already know I am!

:rolleyes:

Kev

I tested a few dry fittings and found that the fit really depends on the order the bits are put together. I settled on my method as it left the fewest gaps, although it differs greatly from the instructions!

I notice on your build that the intakes were already fitted by the previous owner. Is it possible they were fitted upsidedown? I ask because they are almost interchangeable left and right, but not quite.

I also noticed that you were missing the engine mount part. I'm guessing that you've probably glued the panel shut now, but on the offchance you decide to display the engine in the future you're more than welcome to my parts. I'll only be using the middle of the engine. :rolleyes:

I tested a few dry fittings and found that the fit really depends on the order the bits are put together. I settled on my method as it left the fewest gaps, although it differs greatly from the instructions!

I notice on your build that the intakes were already fitted by the previous owner. Is it possible they were fitted upsidedown? I ask because they are almost interchangeable left and right, but not quite.

I also noticed that you were missing the engine mount part. I'm guessing that you've probably glued the panel shut now, but on the offchance you decide to display the engine in the future you're more than welcome to my parts. I'll only be using the middle of the engine. :)

It's possible the previous owner screwed it up before I did, as none of the existing work was very carefully done. I got there in the end and it's looking OK now.

As for the engine parts, thanks for the offer mate, but you're right in that I've already glued it all up. I really must get back to it!

Kev

Filled, primed and ready for paint!

I've stuck the canopy on with thin strips of (super strength!) double sided tape for the meantime - this will allow me to remove the canopy at a later date if I fancy adding some detail to, or replacing completely, the kit Martin Bakers.

post-4669-1235068699.jpg

Getting there! Just the top decals and weathering to go, plus a couple of little bits here and there :)

I'm quite pleased with the finish considering it's my first go with an airbrush! :) I used humbrol enamel for the top and humbrol acrylic for the bottom to get a bit of experience with each. The acrylic came out a bit watery first time off, but i thinned it with Johnsons Klear instead and it was perfect. The watery mix snuck under my masking tape in one place, but thankfully this happended exactly where i'd planned some paint chipping! :)

post-4669-1235689076.jpg

Cheers guys.

All finished!

Here's some pics. I had fun using some Tamiya smoke to add some weathering etc, I mastered it just as i'd finished :D :P That was the idea of this plane though, to get to know how to use my airbrush before I ruin one of my better projects! Overall i'm quite pleased.

post-4669-1235840595.jpg