really clean???

vvwse4

Hi Rick,

Good progress on your SPAD!

Spraying with rigging is very doable on our large scale.

Its easy to paint the wires with metallic colours with a small brush.

Hmm, side profiles of some of the other fancy SPADS are featured in the newest Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine.

I fancy the polka dot SPAD as it requires the least amount of masking (which i have done a lot lately :piliot: ).

Just punch out the dots from red and white decal sheet should do the trick... :evil_laugh:

Tempting....

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Peter

Hehehehe ...got you Russ ! :evil_laugh: :piliot:

There were 9 "showbirds" in 1919. They were supposed to overfly Paris, but did not go any further than Toul in eastern France :

Cpt Chambers' "stars and stripes" "Flag Bus"

the "Shamrock" you intend to do, Rick

the black & white "Checkerboard" Russ is looking at

a red striped SPAD "Barber Pole"

a "Rising Sun" blue and red striped SPAD

an all-black with white lightnings "Lightning Bolt"

a blue with red and white dots "Eastah Aigg"

a black and white "Zig Zag"

a red and blue diamond patterned "Diamond Dick"

That leaves ample room for others to join in and complement this weird carnival Squadron ! So, any other volunteers :hi: :beer::beer4: ?

Hubert.

BTW excellent work Rick ! It shows how good a basis this old Revell SPAD is ...A shame mine got that warped wing and I could not get a replacement... :crying:

Hubert,

I had an idea, why not look for the Showbirds on the internet.

I googled it and hit paydirt.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/septem...a/showbirds.htm

So, why not each of us paint one of the old 1/28 Revell Spads in one of these color schemes.

After all, the model kits are still around and are inexpensive and readily available.

I have at least one parts kit of the Spad so I can supply Hubert with a straight wing if he needs it.

Why not have a group build of colorful airplanes?

The modelers who are into the race planes have a head start with their beauties.

The guys who do the German WW1 aircraft have plenty of colorful schemes.

Those of us who are brave enough, or foolhardy enough, can attempt to paint one of the Showbirds or some of the British WW1 gaily painted trainers.

What say you guys?

Stephen

Hubert,

So, why not each of us paint one of the old 1/28 Revell Spads in one of these color schemes.

After all, the model kits are still around and are inexpensive and readily available.

I have at least one parts kit of the Spad so I can supply Hubert with a straight wing if he needs it.

The modelers who are into the race planes have a head start with their beauties.

Those of us who are brave enough, or foolhardy enough, can attempt to paint one of the Showbirds or some of the British WW1 gaily painted trainers.

What say you guys?

Stephen

Even though I just got the Hobbycraft 1/32 SPAD XIII kit out of frustration for my warped upper wing on my Revell kit, I'm certainly game for completing the Revell kit in Cpt Chambers' colors (I chose those ones because of the "Aces" GB theme). I would gladly accept your generous offer for an upper wing for the Revell kit, Stephen. Please PM me if you're Ok so that we can work out an arrangement.

Hubert.

Hubert,

What say you guys?

Stephen

Stephen

Like the idea, like it a lot. What kit would be the Camel? I know for sure a lot of people are tempted by the idea. And after all, fools rush in where brave men fear too try right?

Rick.

Put on primer, did a little preshade and the first colour on. As far as I can see is the bottom of the topwing still camouflaged. Maybe it needs a little bit more white.

start017-2.jpg

start018-3.jpg

start020-2.jpg

start019-3.jpg

What is wrong with photobucket btw?

Rick.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not that I ain't doing nothing at all, but progress is slow. Life get's a bit in the way so every now and then. The white is on and already a mile of tape.

start021-3.jpg

start022-3.jpg

start023-3.jpg

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
Rick,

How's the Show Bird progressing ?

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Hi Gregory,

Well it is still on the bench. Life is taking up most of my time at the moment. But I will finish it!!!

Thanks for asking

Rick.

• 1 month later...
It is not that I ain't doing nothing at all, but progress is slow. Life get's a bit in the way so every now and then. The white is on and already a mile of tape.

start023-3.jpg

Rick

Just stumbled on this. Very cool; this will look great when finished. What an attractive scheme. If I ever get around to it, this is what I want to do. I really like the spider web.

post-8159-1272329561.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody!!

Slowly picking up the hobby again.

Like the spider scheme Kevin!!

It will be safe to say that the P38 won't make the deadline. Found some cool pics on the internet and want too make the P38 something like this.

USA-PR-Japan-284_1.jpg

p-38-in-swamp2.jpg

attu-nell-p38_2.jpg

attu-nell-p38_7.jpg

Made a modest start, kinda looking forward to make this work.

start002-5.jpg

start006-4.jpg

start004-4.jpg

Still haven't figured out that clear the bench thing....

start025-2.jpg

The SPAD will be finished, hell or high water!!

Rick.

What feels like a million miles of tape is on the SPAD. Need to check in daylight if I did not miss anything, when the green is on every mistake will be painfully visible. Starts to look like the thing on the picture. Oh yeah, the flash sucks, sorry about that.

start029-2.jpg

start027-3.jpg

start026-2.jpg

start032.jpg

Rick.