Shinden-Kai WIP

logan181

• 2 weeks later...
John,

How's the George coming along?

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Gregory

I've got the landing gear in position, with the appropriate brake lines. Mocked up the gear doors, and Now I'm giving the model a sludge wash before decaling. I don't usually do this before the decals are on but I will add more later to fine tune the weathering.

John

post-5601-1239940129.jpg

Just finished applying the decals, I shot it with future the night before. Ive been agonizing over this step for weeks now, I'm affraid of dropping the ball on the 1 yard line. Going to let it sit for a while and let the Solvaset do it's thing. Ive decided to keep the weathering light. There will be some chipping, but not to the point that most you see on Japanese fighters. These aircraft were only a few months old, and I will weather accordingly. Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement throughout this build. They have kept me focused on finishing this project..

John

post-5601-1240082098.jpg

In case anyone is interested, this aircraft is in the Aero Detail book.

Sincerely,

Mark

Was thinking of purchasing that book.

looks good sofar there logan. l have the same kit and its cockpit is laughable. l been wanting the revell mid wing version but l aint got 400 bucks to spend on a kit worth no more then 60

Was thinking of purchasing that book.

looks good sofar there logan. l have the same kit and its cockpit is laughable. l been wanting the revell mid wing version but l aint got 400 bucks to spend on a kit worth no more then 60

I never thought I would be saying this but, just build you one.. I had never scratchbuit anything of this magnitude before, but if you thinkbreak down the cockpit in subassemblies it is not all that bad. Don't let a little thing like a rediculous kit "cockpit" get in your way..

Thanks

John

I spent a lot of time scouring the internet for aftermarket for this kit, but to no avail. I finially came to the realization that if I wanted it I had to do it the hard way. All this would not be possible without the gift of a Punch and Dye set, from a fellow modeller and good friend. It is hard to imagine how such a mundane tool can make alot of things possible..

She's looking great John! I've got a question though: according to the cursory research I've done so far for my build, this particular aircraft (white 15) had the early style wide tail not depicted in the kit. Am I wrong, or did you just move past that as a problem? Either it way, it doesn't detract from your fine build, but curiosity got the better of me.

These markings are included in my boxing of the 1/48 Hasegawa kit too, where they show it with the wider tail (and again, the kit doesn't appear to have that tail). I noticed the Yellowhammer 1/32 decals also have this machine - seems to be a popular number!

Kev

Kevin

I never gave it a second thought, I was so preoccupied with fixing the two major issues in this kit that I didn't think about the tail. Reguardless I'm not going to sweat it now, all & all I am very satisfied with the build sofar.

John

The Yelowhammer Sheet seems to mirror the shape of the kit tail, according to my trusty Mk 1 eyeball..

post-5601-1240098242.jpg

Kevin

I never gave it a second thought, I was so preoccupied with fixing the two major issues in this kit that I didn't think about the tail. Reguardless I'm not going to sweat it now, all & all I am very satisfied with the build sofar.

John

The Yelowhammer Sheet seems to mirror the shape of the kit tail, according to my trusty Mk 1 eyeball..

Oh, you're dead right mate. I wouldn't sweat it either. And the Yellowhammer sheet definitely shows that aircraft with the later, narrow tail. The Doyusha painting guide shows it with the wider tail, as does the Hasegawa kit. I think I saw it in one of my references with that configuration too. Of course, these are all just artist's profiles. Did you use the kit decals or the Yellowhammer ones John?

Kev