Another 1/72 Eduard Mig 15bis **Finished. Outdoor Pics Added!**

mywifehatesmodels

I finally got the gun cover in place, but had to use some filler, which is drying right now. I'm starting to get worried about how the finish will turn out. It's going to take a lot of careful polishing in this area to smooth things out. If I had to do over, instead of gluing the resin sidewalls to the floor/seat, first, I would have attached them to the fuselage sides to assure a better fit. I think that's where I messed up (but I did follow the directions!). Another point of concern is the small decking and frame behind the pilot's headrest, where the canopy will be slid back. The instructions in the Brassin set tell you to attach all these parts together and glue them into position behind the headrest. However, it appears that the upper portion should actually be attached to the canopy, unless you are going to have it closed. No option for open/closed is mentioned in the Brassin instructions and the kit instructions are rather vague in that department, as well. I'll get some pics that illustrate this better, tomorrow. However, it appears that I'll be cutting a few things apart. <_<

John

Guest Peterpools

John

WOW ..... The MIG might be small but your front office is certainly BIG time. Looking fantastic and a terrific way of keeping the juices flowing and fresh as can be.

Thoroughly enjoying your progress and will be following from start to finish

Keep 'em coming

Peter   

Here is the canopy/rear deck part that I referred to earlier. This is actually three pieces. The base is a resin part and there are two PE parts stacked on top of that. The PE parts will need to be removed and installed in the canopy and the base may end up being replaced by the plastic kit part, if the glue damage is too much to clean up. We shall see....

20161009_142801_001_zps8y1clfcv.jpg

Here's a shot of the filler work on the gun cover and seams. Still plenty of work here and I'm not so sure that I'll ever get this all to smooth out completely. <_<

20161009_142732_zpsdbcukztf.jpg

And, if that wasn't frustrating enough, I ran into yet another problem. In trying to put the nose ring on, I found that the forward sections of the cockpit sidewalls, which are supposed to form the rear portion of the intake splitter, don't even come close to matching up with the front/center portion. I may be able to squeeze/glue them, but even the best case scenario appears to be pretty bleak at this point. :BANGHEAD2:

20161009_142237_zpsaaxvnlbz.jpg

I'll finish this kit as soon as possible, but I have to say that my enthusiasm is quickly going out the window and the hopes that I had of a nice looking model are pretty much gone, too.

John

Well, I have come to the conclusion that I pretty much screwed the pooch on this build. The intake is just not repairable without tearing the whole model apart and starting over, which I'm not about to do. I have used filler to try to bridge the gaps and to be able to try to contour it enough to make it passable, but it's never going to be. I'll finish it and use it for the finishing test bed as intended, but all hopes of having it turn out nice are pretty much gone, now. :angry2:

Here's where I'm at right now. After a bunch of putty, grinding, filing and sanding, the intake doesn't really show much improvement and the other seams (especially around the gun cover) are going to be nearly impossible to clean up well enough for the Metalizer paint, but I'm going to give it my best shot. Okay, maybe not my best. I think I'm well beyond that possibility now. Who am I kidding?

20161010_201939_zpslet1adbt.jpg

20161010_201928_zpsg5safkra.jpg

John

Well then camo it!....Harv

I thought about that, Harv. However, I'm going to stick to the plan. If anything, I'll learn exactly what I can or can't get away with in this NMF business. Specifically, how it will lay over Tamiya putty. You're not supposed to use a primer with the stuff and I haven't in the past, but I may have to run a couple tests on possible primers and see if it works (gloss black, maybe?). At this point, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. It is what it is, I guess. I've got too many other irons in the fire to worry about this one. I just want to get it done and move on.

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

That's some great work there, John!  The cockpit especially looks fantastic.  I'm sorry to hear that you've run into fit problems.  I didn't experience any big issues in my build so I'm guessing it's related to the addition of the resin cockpit pieces?  That's always the big issue with using resin isn't it?  Putting on a coat of primer is a good juncture to check to see where you stand... it might not be as bad as you think!