1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#76 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 23,011 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:37 PM

Great stuff John!  Good tip on the IP bezels too. 

#77 Thunnus

Thunnus

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:46 PM

Thanks Brian!

Still putzing around with the Me 262 without committing to any major tasks. I will be leaving the country for a couple of weeks starting Sunday and I don't want to leave halfway into a significant assembly such as gluing in the cockpit/wheel well tub. So I'll just be working on a few odds and ends before taking a short hiatus from model building.

The painted instrument panel face has been attached to the resin instrument panel body using Elmer's White Glue. A quick check to see how the panel fits within the as of yet, unpainted, cockpit tub. In the background, you can see the seat, which I've given a coat of Alclad Dark Aluminum.

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

The seat was given a coat of hairspray and then painted with Gunze RLM66.

IMG_2466.jpg

Using a stiff paint brush dipped in water, I create the chipping effect. The seat back was painted in various shades of brown and tan.

IMG_2469.jpg

Although the Aires resin set includes buckles and PE harnesses, I've chosen to use HGW fabric belts. I'm not a big fan of the pre-painted PE belts from Eduard at this scale. It's difficult to get them to look natural and excessive bending will cause the paint to flake off. The fabric belts look a bit more natural.

IMG_2471.jpg

I followed the HGW instructions of crumpling up the belt pieces before assembly but I noticed some of the paint wearing off the belts when you do this. Make sure you set aside a few hours for this. The threading of the harnesses through the buckles, especially when you have TWO fabric pieces sharing the same slot, can be a time-consuming process. Instead of CA glue, as recommended by HGW, I used Elmer's White Glue to cinch the fabric ends together.

IMG_2472.jpg

Once the HGW belts are assembled, they are attached to the seat using CA glue. I may take another crack at posing the belts... get a few more folds in them.

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

I received this in the mail from David Brown! It is a very informative technical analysis of Yellow 3, including analysis of archive photos. It includes a four view, color painting guide for Yellow 3 with some very detailed nuances about the aircraft that I did not know including an offset between the starboard and port fuselage crosses. On the back are two beautiful color profiles (starboard and port) of Yellow 3 by Thomas Tullis. Also included are high quality decals (printed by Microscale) but unfortunately they come only in 1/48 and 1/72 sizes. A big thumbs up to David Brown for creating such an excellent modeling guide on this particular aircraft.

IMG_2470.jpg

Edited by Thunnus, 14 April 2018 - 02:18 AM.

• LSP_Kevin, monthebiff, Gazzas and 1 other like this

John

-----<><

#78 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

Coming along nicely!!

Cheers

Alan

#79 monthebiff

monthebiff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

Nice work there John, theat i/p looks fantastic. looking foward to some progress when you are back from your travels.

Regards. Andy

#80 TimHepplestone

TimHepplestone

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

Nice work. Those HGW belts look fantastic. As does the sear cushion

cv8KuPS.png?4

#81 Thunnus

Thunnus

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:29 AM

Thanks guys!

3 days til my two week trip overseas so I've wound things down on the 262 build. One small detail that I've worked on is the wiring harness that spans from the circular tub to the wheel well sidewalls. Aires provides a little resin twig to bridge this gap but I thought it'd be more convincing to use some more wire.

IMG_2479.jpg

I picked up this guy from Ebay that was on sale for $8. This is a CMK 1/32 resin figure of Waldemar Wubke sitting in a folding chair. I thought I'd take my first stab at painting a figure. Figures are a whole different thing of which I know nothing about, so I'm just kind of winging it and seeing how it goes. The chair was a bit of a challenge to cobble together. Warped resin plus none-too-positive attachment points... I just had to glue one joint at a time and hoped that all of the cross members would straighten each other out. Which they did, for the most part.
IMG_2478.jpg

The glued the different body parts together with CA glue and smoothed out the joints with some putty. The figure was then primed it and I've just started painting by spraying the pants intermediate blue. Prior to that, I painted the chair frame tan and then brushed some dark brown and red oil paints on it to simulate wood grain. I'll let that dry before painting the canvas part.

IMG_2480.jpg

I thought it'd be easier to paint the head by itself so I've not attached it yet. The head was painted with Tamiya and Gunze acrylics. Dry-brushing doesn't work very well at this small size so to smooth out the shading transitions, I used a brush dabbed with some color and iso alcohol to perform the blending. After painting, the head as given a spritz of flat to knock down the shiny pink skin.

IMG_2481.jpg

Head on a stick... looks kinda zombie-ish. Hopefully, it'll look more human once I finish painting the body and I stick the head on.
IMG_2482.jpg

Edited by Thunnus, 14 April 2018 - 02:18 AM.

• Padraic Conway, Kais, ScanmanDan and 6 others like this

John

-----<><

#82 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

Nice! Wiring and figure look great!
Cheers
Alan

#83 Wouter

Wouter

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

Nice addition. If that's your first figure I couldn't tell. I like the chair too. Looks a bit like one my grandfather used to have.
  • alaninaustria likes this

On the bench, on the shelf, Finished. Just take a look here:https://www.scalemat...te.php?id=17982

#84 Thunnus

Thunnus

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the comments!  Figure painting is hard!  I don't think Tamiya acrylics are the best choice for brush painting but that's what I have so I had to make do.

The seat harnesses have been slightly repositioned and given a dark wash.

IMG_2492.jpg

• ScanmanDan, LSP_Kevin, Kahunaminor and 2 others like this

John

-----<><

#85 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

Your figure painting is going better than mine!

Good work!

Gaz

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#86 Thunnus

Thunnus

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:49 AM

Thanks Gaz!

Here's the completed chair. I used the Silhouette Portrait for the US Army stencil.

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

And the completed figure in the chair.

IMG_2497.jpg
IMG_2498.jpg

That's it for me for while. Leaving tomorrow on an overseas trip. Will resume the build when I get back!

Edited by Thunnus, 14 April 2018 - 02:19 AM.

• fab, Kais, LSP_Kevin and 8 others like this

John

-----<><

#87 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 41,173 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:44 AM

Both chair and pilot are awesome!

Kev

• Peterpools likes this

#88 DonH

DonH

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

Great job on the figure! 262 is also coming along very nicely.

Done and Dusty

Tamiya Spitfire IXc

http://forum.largesc...wtopic=42491=

#89 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 23,011 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

Wow, that pilot and chair look amazing!!   Im sure its a stupid question, but why the Luftwaffe pilot setting on a "US ARMY" chair?

• Peterpools likes this

#90 Thunnus

Thunnus

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:31 PM

Thanks guys!  As for the chair... Artistic license, I would call it.  I just thought it would be an interesting contrast.  I got my inspiration from this...

tumblr_mak820OHDR1r5irdqo1_1280.jpg

• Dany Boy, Out2gtcha, Dragon and 1 other like this

John

-----<><

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users