Revell early Mustang CHECK MATE!

quang

PS is your Fly Hurricane still in the hanger?

Yes Torben. I put it away because I had to move abroad for some months. Alas the drive was gone when I came back,

It's all primed and ready for the camouflage. Still I cannot make up my mind to do it.

Maybe some day...

All the best,

Q

Thank you Gerhard and John for your kind words.

John, I did try putting on the clear flat but I discovered that you won't notice it when the parts are in situ inside the cockpit.

Incidentally, this kit is so well detailed that 60% of the details included will not be visible once the assembly is completed. It's the reason I had to dry-fit over and over again to see what's visible and what's visible and what's not.

I'd rather concentrate on what's visible than waste my time on the hidden parts.

Cheers,

Q

Hi Quang,

Very nice job on the pit !

I'm also starting this build with the Eduad PE. I found that the Eduard PE radio is oversized and dont fit the kit frame. Did you have the same problem? (i had to cut the frame and add some 0.5mm sheet to spread it a bit)

Hi Quang,

I found that the Eduard PE radio is oversized and dont fit the kit frame. Did you have the same problem? (i had to cut the frame and add some 0.5mm sheet to spread it a bit)

Indeed. I remember shaving the frame a bit to make the radio sit square. in any case, you won't see the frame once the fuselage is closed. Just make sure that the radio and battery sit square.

Radio_mod.jpg

Some other things. The radio top panel is shown backwards on the Eduard instructions. The smaller hole should be in the back.

Furthermore, Eduard has mistaken the flare gun exit for some kind of instrument. Just leave it as it is. Revell got it right.

HTH

Quang

Some other views of the cockpit.

Revell gives us nice details like a clear battery sump jar which unfortunately is invisible once the fuselage is closed.

On the other hand, the seat adjusting lever with its conspicuous yellow knob is missing. Go figure  :hmmm:

RH_side.jpg

FEED57_A6_CD7_F_4_D52_9_F0_E_5_B23638_D0

HTH

Q

The gun sight originally installed in the early P-51D was the N-9 reflector sight together with a back-up ring-and-bead sight just in case the N-9 didn't work  :doh:

Gunsight_2_N_9_Early.jpg

It's what provided in the box. Adding the ring-and-bead would add the nice touch to the build.

Nevertheless I wanted to go further as I read that some of these early Mustangs were retro-fitted in the field with the later – and more proficient – K-14A gunsight, the same model that was factory-installed on the P-51D-20.

K_14_Gunsight_4.jpg

As I remember having in my spare box a nice resin K-14 gunsight, I quickly made the jump. :innocent:  

As the K-14 sticks out a lot from the instrument panel – think of the 'NO HAND HOLD' stencil on the bumper guard – it was a common practice in the field to re-position the gunsight farther away from the pilot's face by making a cut-out into the IP coaming. 

Col_Don_Blakesleetxt.jpg

0868_A480_C586_45_B7_BC6_C_43_EF00494687

Cutout_txt.jpg

The K-14 was controlled by a twist grip handle installed in the throttle quadrant in place of the ball-tipped lever used with the N-9.

K_14txt.jpg

Throttle_txt.jpg

On the early Mustangs, the dimmer control box for the K-14 lamps was located on the right underside of the coaming. It was repositioned to the left on later variants of the P-51D.

Dimmer_txt.jpg

It's a simple modification but I think it would add to the finished model if only as a conversation piece.

That's it, folks! Comments and questions are welcome as usual.

Keep well,

Quang

Edited by quang

Quang,

Super nice work and research as well.  Surprised Eduard got the battery terminals backwards - did you let them know? 

Two questions - what did you make the pouch behind the head rest out of?  Nice touch!

Also on the fuel tank behind the pilot, the little hole/vent up by the seat - I think you put some sort of vent into that position?  It does not look like the Revell kit has anything for that hole so what did you put there?

Thanks!
Chris