Scratch built 1/32 Cessna 0-1E Bird 'Dawg'

Hello All,

I have nothing to show other than an empty model table at present as there is no 1/32 kit of the 0-1 available. When I have enough reference, I intend to scratch build  an 0-1E. I had sort of finalised on a 19th TASS ship and I was looking at the shark mouth one when Tony T brought my attention to this scheme:

cessna-o-1-bird-dog-.jpg

So I thought about it and said to myself 'Hmmm, I gotta have me one of those Dawgs with its tongue hanging out!'. So, this will be my 'Dawg':

Cessna_O-1_Bird_Dog_warbirds_parked.jpg

9816-3138476.jpg

cessna-o-1-bird-dog-.jpg

7003282344_dfe94c7b0f_z.jpg

o1-af-2x.jpg

I am looking for some images of the original aircraft (Iain is trying to help me here). I need all the reference and assistance I can to get this baby built, but it should be fun ;)

Derek

PS Just for fun with this GB, and to get into the spirit of things, I wonder if we should all have individual call signs? Anyone want allocate one to me? :D

Derek, I have NO idea on a callsign for you...but you better start laying out some rough shapes or something or were gonna call ya.. " bluff " :rofl:  

Paul

lol :) (Too close to 'Buff' for my liking - I'm not that large! lol).

Working on the reference materials but have nothing like enough at present to get in the detail that will be all too obvious on a cabin model like this with acres of transparency. The size is manageable though at OAL of 245.268mm and a span of 349.900mm.

Derek

Thank you Raphael - I am right-clicking, saving as and printing like a mad man (or an idiot depending upon your viewpoint  :D).

Cheers

Derek 

Dang, look at that dog slobbering all over the side of that plane.... ;) Somebody put a leash that mutt.  :rofl:

Nice project buddy, I can't wait to see what you will do with this. I'm hopping someone will produce this kit in our scale because I want 2  :coolio:

Dang, look at that dog slobbering all over the side of that plane.... ;) Somebody put a leash that mutt.  :rofl:

Nice project buddy, I can't wait to see what you will do with this. I'm hopping someone will produce this kit in our scale because I want 2  :coolio:

Thanks Mike. Well, depending upon how this one works out, you never know... ;)

Derek

Guest Peterpools

Count me in ... sure would love to own one. Yup, hoping and praying as the song goes.

Peter

Does anyone out there have a copy of the four drawings sheets of the 0-1E Bird Dog drawn by L G Hall from the August 1969 Model Airplane News (MAN) magazine that they can scan or copy for me please?

normal_Cessna_OE-1_Sheet_A.jpg

This is the plan I will used to make my Dawg if I can get all four sheets in a decent resolution (they are perfect for my GB project). I am gathering other useful references and I have the loan of a 1/48 kit and Squadron Signal book for the aircraft (thanks Barry) on its way to me.

Any assistance would really help me.

Many thanks

Derek

Being that TM 55-1510-202-10 was government printed, it has no copyright for US citizens and has been posted online before without having to pay an access fee:

http://73rdaviationcompany.org/pdf/TM55-1510-202-10web.pdf

Regards,