Painting a real F-16

Nic C.D.

Hi guys, this is probably the last post from me on this topic - I mean, the F-16 is painted and flying at airshows all around Europe this season, so not much more to tell - but here are two things that I wanted to share with you on the theme.

1. At the airshow at RAF Cosford, we won a special award for the best presented aircraft at the airshow. I guess the organisers liked the design of the Dark Falcon! How cool is that? (edit: oops, I noticed that I already told that... sorry about that!) and yep: she will fly at Yeovilton too.

2. Today, we finished the work on the second aircraft I got to design: a Belgian Air Force Alpha Jet. This is actually the last of its type that will have a special livery, since the Belgian Air Force will withdraw the Alpha Jet from service later this year. Because we wanted a clear link between both the F-16 and the Alpha Jet (every F-16 pilot flying in Belgium got his initial training on the Alpha Jet), the tail design resembles that of the Dark Falcon, but in stead of a Falcon, it sports a big bat, because it is flown by n° 11 squadron, which has a bat as its squadron logo (and celebrates its 100th anniversary this year). So, this Alpha Jet is called "Dark Bat". So cool!

Both aircraft will probably fly together only twice before the Alpha Jet is going into retirement: at the BAF Days in Kleine Brogel in September and at the Air Tattoo in the UK in July. 

Here's a photo of it, just before we lower the gear and remove the jacks. 

540.jpg

I hope you like her and I hope I didn't bore you with the story.

Signing off!

Nic

Edited by Nic C.D.

Nic, i saw the Cosford presentation and it was impressive, congratulations on your "end result", must have been a very good feeling seeying it airborne and displaying.

Hope to be seeing you at the BAF days in Brogel.

Jack.

Wow, you did that scheme?!! Awesome. man I love that paintjob. That edgy style is way better than the finish of the showbird before (not that it would have been a bad scheme though!).

Hope I'll be seeing her live at the RIAT.

(Wish I could have had the Luftwaffe's Ghost Tiger Tiffy also painted instead of foilded. Would have made a full body schme possible as well. Alas, I should be grateful it still turned out the way it did after all.)