CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

fozzy

My immediate thought, would it not be better to used clear plastic, probably easier to manufacture the framing?

Cheers Tony....but I just like to do it the hard way!  ;) .....no...The truth is that I didn't have any decent clear plastic to use...but it will be ok doing it this way.....I hope!

Hi guys

Time for an up date on this Ball turret!

So after a lot of cursing the designers of this turret...namely Mr Sperry!wtf.gif...I finally managed to complete the outer parts of the bottom half of the turret..... leaving me to start next on the dreaded interior!

The hardest part was trying to replicate where the 50 cals go into the turret....I tried all sorts of ideas but in the end decided to use wire insulation. Very fiddly I have to say and a few attempts had to be made before I was kind of satisfied that it looked the part.

Here's a photo of me in the process of making them..............

image.jpg

I have done this method many times before but this time it seemed harder due to the circular shape they had to be attached to!...Each piece of insulation was 1 cm in length and had to be opened up and cut to shape.....and a small piece of plastic with a hole drilled out that will take the barrels later on........

Here you have it......

E_1.jpg

Next up was also pretty dam difficult and that was cutting out all the glazing positions.....but finally the bottom half of the turret was ready for glazing.............

E_2.jpg

After the glazing was done using cut pieces of an old food clear packaging plastic...I then placed all the framing around the glass.

Here it is then ready to start the detailing of the interior........

E_3.jpg

E_4.jpg

E_5.jpg

E_6.jpg

E_7.jpg

....and with the top on to give some sort of reference that it is.... in fact... supposed to be a ball turret!!!default_wink.png

E_8.jpg

E_9.jpg

I have to say I am glad that that hurdle is over with.....although the top half will be awkward at least it wont have all that glazing!

When I started this project back in the dark ages I really wasn't going to do the entire B17G....it was just supposed to be the nose section......one of the reasons why I shied away from it is the fact that I would have to do this turret....but I guess that's what scratch building is all about....pushing your self to the limit...and this ball turret has pushed me right to the edge!! ha ha!default_mental.gif

so......I am now going to have a go at the bottom half of the interior...so I better start looking at the 1652 photos I have as reference!!

I shall be back...and thanks for looking in!

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy

Thanks a lot guys!

I was going to say that it looked like a "Death Star"!

Stunning work and makes my suggestion of using clear plastic look redundant :thumbsup:

Tony ...I welcome any suggestions mate...keep em coming....and if I had enough decent clear plastic I would have used it to vac form the turret! ;)