HK B-17G on a stick

Pete Fleischmann

Hey Pete.  Sounds like a good idea to change engines.  Where will you be getting them?  Also, will you be using some kind of dimmer switch so that you can vary the speed of the props or just turning them on and off?  I'd like to make my own props spin but I'll be doing more of a start up routine rather than already in flight.  Too bad I can replicate the blast of blue smoke coming out of the exhausts.  Thanks in advance for your answers.  

No worries!

All of my knowledge has come from Uncle Fester on this subject. (whom I've known since I was a punk Lieutenant at the 314th TFTS).

Per his input, I ordered the new geared motors from Gizmoszone. They run at 1850ish RPM at 3volts. By varying the voltage, I can adjust the RPM slightly. I'm learning as I go from UF...The props will be on or off. Randy just emailed me with a sample of the audio loop..Real 1820's at cruise power...it's cool :)  

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Guest Uncle Fester

No worries!

All of my knowledge has come from Uncle Fester on this subject. (whom I've known since I was a punk Lieutenant at the 314th TFTS).

Per his input, I ordered the new geared motors from Gizmoszone. They run at 1850ish RPM at 3volts. By varying the voltage, I can adjust the RPM slightly. I'm learning as I go from UF...The props will be on or off. Randy just emailed me with a sample of the audio loop..Real 1820's at cruise power...it's cool :)  

Cheers

Ptee

No sweat.

Just pay me in dynamite and let me play with the trains past bedtime. 

(Who's 'Ptee'?) 

Hello all-

Thanks for all of the kind words and encouragement! Small update..The engines are ready to paint..the ignition harnesses will be cut to length and connected to the cylinders after painting.

I'm bouncing between this build and my primary focus, my AT-38B-

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=28715&hl=

SDC13288_zpsc152374d.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Hey Matt!

Not as big as my 1/16th scale T-38...The 1/16th Jag is Timmy's amazing work-

Cheers

Pete

My mistake then. I remember seeing the T-38, that looked like it was coming along well.  

It is good to know that is there is at least one build out there bigger than the B-17. Every time I see one built it looks like the biggest kit out there right now to build

Matt  :frantic:

Hello all-

...Been busy painting the engines..you can see the assembly line here. 

SDC13295_zpsd00fa98f.jpg

Closer look at number one. This assembly has not been glued together, just set in place. A few fit issues to resolve..Some mold seams to remove that eluded me.. a few hoses to add..More weathering to accomplish. These round engines soil themselves, and get nasty-

SDC13294_zps183623ca.jpg

Thanks for looking-

Cheers

Pete

Hello all-

...One of the things I'm noticing about the HK B-17 kit is how poorly the instructions are written. Besides the fact that the illustrations are way too small, there is a lot of ambiguity in the instructions that can only be resolved with a look at your references. For example; As I built up the engines, I noticed it's very easy to install the valve covers backwards..just remember that the support beams that go around the circumference of the engine attached to the valve covers go toward the aft of the cylinders. Also, the lifter arms..look closely at them..there are hose clamps at the base of each..with a buckle connection on each clamp. Those clamp buckles should be on the front of the lifter arms..Easy to install the assembly backwards. Lastly, the cylinders themselves have notches on them at the top for the lifter arms to snuggle into...also easy to install the cylinders backwards, and then the lifter arms wont fit correctly. No mention of any of this in the instructions, and the poor illustrations really force you to study study study your references against the kit parts.

Just a heads up. Don't trust the instructions throughout.

Cheers

Pete  

You found a huge discrepancy there, Pete.  I agree with you 100%.  That's what makes this kit a bit difficult for beginners.  I was going to try and do some rewriting but I got bogged down in a lot of detailing.   Any heads up you can post will be more than appreciated by all building this kit.