Ah-sogawa Ki-43 Oscar II

wingman777

Yep, I'm doing another battery operated motor to spin the prop...just like I did on the N1K2-J George. I had planned to put it behind the nicely detailed kit engine and thats why the cockpit floor and firewall were butchered so bad to make room for it. Turns out that didn't work out too well but it will fit nicely where the kit motor would've been. There is a radiator that sits on the front of the motor and behind the spinner, it covers nearly all of the motor so it won't be missed in this case. So, why did an air cooled radial engine have a radiator anyway?

post-345-1255552587.jpg

Sand, fill, scribe, sand, fill, scribe sand, fill...... :speak_cool: seams are tricky but using thin strips of plastic works better for me than almost anything I've tried, but it's funny...what works on one kit seems to not work on another.. like each situation needs a different approach.

Cheers

Vaughn

In the lower left corner you might see this guy making some yellow snow. I added it as a novelty and its usually the most talked about feature of the diorama. Most people like to be entertained with the unusual, so do I.

post-345-1255553789.jpg

In the lower left corner you might see this guy making some yellow snow. I added it as a novelty and its usually the most talked about feature of the diorama. Most people like to be entertained with the unusual, so do I.

Looks like it's mighty cold... the stream seems to have frozen :speak_cool: !! (never try this when it's -30 F or lower...it WILL freeze so fast it will actually go inside... more than one guy has lost his..equipment..from such a situation.)

Great dio and the spinning prop looks really good, adds a lot to the scene.

Cheers

Vaughn

So finally, here we go. My favorite part of modeling is probably the painting..atleast in most cases. I knew this would be a metal finish paint scheme so I wanted to get the plastic super smooth. I went over all the seams with extra TLC and scrubbed the entire model down with Novus plastic polish. After that I washed it all down with rubbing alcohol because I didn't want to leave any residue from the Novus. Well here it is with the first coats of Krylon Fusion gloss white. I usually do this with all my models, its very good paint and is designed to adhere to plastic. I"ll add a few more coats later if needed.

post-345-1256162556.jpg

Well if that ghostly image didn't scare you then this one will for sure. I hate it, HATE IT!!! :BANGHEAD2: No kidding guys, I had that plastic so smooth and now look at this orange peel affect that took place. Great, there goes the fantastic metal finish. I think it was residue from the Novus, I've had it happen before. I guess I just didn't scrub it all off in places. So, who wants a free bottle of Novus? Well I'm not going to give up or quit now. I'll work with what I've got and hopefully overcome this unfortunate episode like any made scientist would do. :rolleyes: Mad being the key word right now. Oh, the horror!!! Maybe a few more coats of paint and the camo will help bring it all together.

post-345-1256162816.jpg