289 replies to this topic

#271 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

Pardon my ignorance on the subject but is the forthcoming AD-5W suitable for a Royal Navy machine or is that something different again? would like to get one of those if it is. 

Hi, the AD-5W is the "fat face" AEW version of the Skyraider, the Royal Navy used the AD-4W based on the slimmer single place fuselage with two radar operators in the mid fuselage. I am  interested in hearing from anyone who would support the idea...

Thanks, 

paul

• KAGNEW and Alburymodeler like this

#272 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

Hi, the AD-5W is the "fat face" AEW version of the Skyraider, the Royal Navy used the AD-4W based on the slimmer single place fuselage with two radar operators in the mid fuselage. I am  interested in hearing from anyone who would support the idea...

Thanks, 

paul

Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in one if it existed as a conversion but wouldnt push you to do one. It had a relatively short career in the FAA but theres some decent markings options from the Suez era plus I went and read up a little on our skyraiders and it seems we sold some on the Sweden when we had moved over to the Gannet.

Edited by ade rowlands, 03 May 2018 - 03:28 PM.

• paul fisher and harvey like this

#273 otis252

otis252

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:00 PM

I definitely would be interested in the AD-4W. Simply because the Marine Corps flew it. Bring it on.

Chuck

Edited by otis252, 05 May 2018 - 01:00 AM.

• paul fisher, Harold, Alburymodeler and 1 other like this

#274 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen...

We're taking orders for the Navy AD-5 now, decals have not arrived but we're piling up the parts and will be shipping the first batch as soon as they do so I guess we'll call this a pre-order.....Please don't get mad if the kits don't show up over night, we'll do the best we can to keep up.

The AD-5W Guppy won't be along until a bit later.

Many thanks!

Paul

• A340 Pilot likes this

#275 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

Speaking of the Guppy.....here's a couple shots of the aft cabin mock-up in progress...All vaccuum tube ( Valve ) technology back then so you can imagine it got pretty warm back there!

Paul

hOXatr8.jpg

PizRyFs.jpg

• Starfighter, Harold, A340 Pilot and 2 others like this

#276 seiran01

seiran01

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

Oh that looks awesome!  I can imagine all the little orange-glowing tubes removing any need for heating in cold weather ops... bet that wasn't the most comfortable...

Paul, have you heard any update from Caracal on their AD-5 sheet so far as timing or schemes goes? Usually they have info on their ARC forum but it's a ghost town for large scale at the moment. 

#277 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,964 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:32 PM

Well, I guess it's time Ernie ordered...

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#278 Guest_Smitty44_*

Guest_Smitty44_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:47 AM

Well, I guess it's time Ernie ordered...

As if this was ever in question.

#279 Guest_Smitty44_*

Guest_Smitty44_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

Oh that looks awesome! I can imagine all the little orange-glowing tubes removing any need for heating in cold weather ops... bet that wasn't the most comfortable...

Paul, have you heard any update from Caracal on their AD-5 sheet so far as timing or schemes goes? Usually they have info on their ARC forum but it's a ghost town for large scale at the moment.

Mike, I think I saw Paul mention at some point in time that Caracal would be scaling up some of their smaller scale AD-5 sheets. They have some both in 72nd and 48th that have some pretty sharp looking aircraft.

Edited by Smitty44, 08 May 2018 - 05:31 PM.

#280 Scotsman

Scotsman

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

Oh my word that looks beautiful... better start looking for another cheap Trumpeter A-1 !

ColinR

• Harold likes this

#281 A340 Pilot

A340 Pilot

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen...

We're taking orders for the Navy AD-5 now, decals have not arrived but we're piling up the parts and will be shipping the first batch as soon as they do so I guess we'll call this a pre-order.....Please don't get mad if the kits don't show up over night, we'll do the best we can to keep up.

The AD-5W Guppy won't be along until a bit later.

Many thanks!

Paul

Luck and superstition wins every time!

In progress: 5x 1/24 Airfix Typhoon.

#282 A340 Pilot

A340 Pilot

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:02 PM

Ordered my set yesterday. Along with three sets of brass gears for my Panther, Cougar and "Twogar" kits.
Now it's just sitting here and wait! 😁
Stein M.

Luck and superstition wins every time!

In progress: 5x 1/24 Airfix Typhoon.

#283 Guest_Smitty44_*

Guest_Smitty44_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:20 AM

Hey Paul, I just saw the Collings Foundation are offering A-1E flights on their California leg of the tour! 900 bucks front seat and I think 400 for rear seats. In Sacramento first weekend in June! I'm tempted, but thinking more like a B-25 or B-24 ride. Been on the 17 already.
  • paul fisher likes this

#284 otis252

otis252

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:43 AM

Just ordered, don't know why I drug my feet and didn't do it earlier. Question though, did the AD-5 have any armor between the main gear? So what would be the best donor kit, the Trumpeter AD-4 or the AD-1J, assuming it has the armored belly? Thanks.

Chuck

#285 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

Yes indeed,

As I discovered to my surprise in researching the Spad, most AD-5 were armored.The Trumpy AD-1 /AD-4 kit (02252) works well, though the armor on their other kits is so thin it is easily sanded away.

Cartograf tell me the decals will ship "the week of the 21st" so let's hope they mean May!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users