Emil Lang, Fw190A-5 Black 7, 5./JG 54, May 1943

Martinn, I'll take a look at the landing gear and see if I can make the holed rim.  I think I see that the engine I should model is the BMW801D-2.  I'll look into the differences between what I've done and maybe what I should have done.

Thank you for the info.

Sincerely,

Mark

Small update

DSCN7139_zpsbf23546a.jpg

While thinking about and researching the wheel rims I started off 'lifting and separating' the elevators from the horizontal stabilizers.  Needed to make a correction on the right elevator as I had not sanded a straight line.

The rest is ALL MARTINNS FAULT!!

DSCN71391_zpsccc70fcb.jpg

Although the tire halves are separated, prior to that I had made a rough alignment guide with a file.  To separate the tire halves I scored the seam with a scalpel, sawed thru that location, then pried the halves apart.

DSCN7146_zps109133a5.jpg

I figured the braking system would show thru the holes so I roughed out the brake.  I measured the rim and came away with something like 12.5mm, drew a circle, took out my 30/60.90 triangle and did the linework, punched a center point for the holes, drilled, punched some discs, glued, centerpointed and drilled, drew a 14.5mm circle around the 12.5mm diameter so the thing wouldn't fall out of the outside tire half, and roughly trimmed it.

Then I started sweating bullets, it was time to work on the outside rim.  There was no turning back now.  I drilled the axle hole with progressively larger drill bits until it was time to remove the excess material by X-Acto blade and a file.  I located the tire on a piece of plastic scrap that fit inside the tire which is the same thickness as from the tire base to the inner face of the removed rim.  I then cut a strip of .020 x .020, seated it in the opening, trimmed it to the diameter, flipped over the tire and glued the part onto the tire from the backside.

DSCN7147_zpsed7de1c6.jpg

Brake in place.  Guidelines so I can seat the brake in alignment with the strut.

DSCN7149_zps66b3f9d5.jpg

Rim in place.  I sure hope this is right.

DSCN7150_zpsc27e9881.jpg

Outside tire half just dropped on, as I still need to paint, and relatively aligned.

Only one more to do.

Thanks for looking in!

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Simply incredible! When you think you have seen it all, there is always something new to be seen and scratching out the brakes is an absolute first. Awesome work, simply awesome.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Kevin, you're so funny.

Thank you, Peter.  As you can see, it's really rough.  Which was actually difficult for me to decide to do in this manner.

My first inclination was to simply do it, which I probably will go back and do, another reason why it's not glued together, because it is my nature. 

But also, I thought I was finished with the wheels/struts and really didn't want to back-track, so I did it half-heartedly.  My apologies Martinn.  I'll do the next one right and go back and redo this one.

Thank you, Jerry.  I just thought the braking system would show thru the openings, much as disc brakes show thru modern car rims.

I found nothing to support this, as everything I found was either a line drawing of the holed face or a photograph that was so dark inside the rim as to not be able to make any determination, but it made sense to me.

As I wrote, 'I hope this is right', because I don't know.  I'm working from a reference book showing a solid disc rim and this pad braking system and not from an A-5 manual.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark - another astonishing build - I don't know how I missed this one, but I did until today

love the 'go the extra mile' approach to detailing and the flawless execution - can't wait for more  :popcorn: :popcorn:

one question - where do you get that fine wiring / coloured sheathing?  it looks very versatile in terms of diameters / flexibility etc

cheers

Peter

Mark,

soooo you are one of those, Gods of plastic modeling. Patiently watching from the Mount Olympus on as, unworthy mortals.  And from time to time throwing us  bits and pieces of your  magnificent skill as a lesson to our ego, boosted with aftermarket trinkets of this sinful world. With perverted sense of dedication, placing us under severe pressure of unreachable limits of your surgical craftsmanship.

"thous shalt not buy aftermarket anymore"

Amen

Your humble sheep like follower

Martin :bow:

Thank you, Matt.  You funny guy.  I'm sorry I couldn't help you with the '109 wings.

'Are you a creative genius or have you totally lost your mind?'

Creative genius?  No.  Creative?  I have in the past been paid to create a thing or two.  But no marketable inventions on my own, yet.  Lost my mind?  No, just thoughtful.

Thanks for stopping by, Richard.  As you know, the smaller the detail the higher the standard.  Just trying to make up ground on YOU! and Peter over there!  You both are wizards, plain and simple.

Thank you, Rainer.  Well, rough by my standards for me.  Oh, I've seen your work.  I've got nothing on you.

Peter, I'm glad you found the thread.  I like going the extra mile as well.  It's gratifying to make things.  Thank you.

The brass engine distributer wire is 32 gauge bead wire from Michaels.  They have a ton of different gauges and colors.  Nothing insulated that I recall.  The blue/white insulated copper wire I think I took from a dead analog tv a couple of years ago.

The red insulation is from 32 gauge single strand insulated wire, I think from Radio Shack.  Otherwise this may do: http://www.omega.com/pptst/TFIR_CH_CI_CC_CY_AL.html

The purple wire for the brake line is 32 or 30 gauge painted wire.  I think it may be bead wire also.

Martin, you funny man.  You have a way with words.  Thank you very much.

Thank you everyone for your compliments.  I am truly humbled by your praise.

Sincerely,

Mark