PCM 1/32 Fw 190A-4

HobbyZoneUSA

Guest Clunkmeister

Here is another image of White 11 with a companion...

42863250532_a6050210ae_o.jpg

That's a great pic. And the close up Ray posted.

JG 54 always seemed to play fast and loose with published standards, as seen on some of their 109s.

These schemes here get my juices flowing, and this kit sits in my stash right now.

Cool stuff. Thanks for posting.

Yes, it appears many Eastern Front units didn't follow the patterns. You could definitely be right about the wings; there are so few pictures of the top of the wings. Didn't these guys know we would be trying to match their schemes 70 years later???

I believe it was very common for Luftwaffe Russian front units to deviate from the standard Luftwaffe paint schemes.  Many years ago, I built the Hasegawa 1/32 FW-190 model that had a third shade of green added to the standard splinter pattern.  It would be great if these variations were documented.

Cheers,

Michael

I went back to Merrick's Luft camo colors, vol 1. They have a section on JG54, including that pic above. He says JG54 was one of a few units that apparently were used for camo experimentation. He says "White 11" is a combo of 81/82/83. Apparently they were early colors re-designated? Sounds like you have a lot of leeway...

I believe it was very common for Luftwaffe Russian front units to deviate from the standard Luftwaffe paint schemes.  Many years ago, I built the Hasegawa 1/32 FW-190 model that had a third shade of green added to the standard splinter pattern.  It would be great if these variations were documented.

Cheers,

Michael

Absolutely. The farther you are from the supply lines, the more you improvise with what you have on hand. Even though the USAAF was supposedly close to the supply lines in the UK, there are still documented instances (especially in the days after D-Day) when crews used RAF paints that were 'close enough for government work'.

Yes, it appears many Eastern Front units didn't follow the patterns. You could definitely be right about the wings; there are so few pictures of the top of the wings. Didn't these guys know we would be trying to match their schemes 70 years later???

I know from my own experience that the moment I 'guess' on the upper wing camouflage pattern, someone will unearth a new photo documenting just how wrong my guess was...

FYI: Peddinghaus has Nowotny's A-4 "White 8"

ep_1454.jpg

Crap, whitewash camo, though:

2_78.jpg

This is similar to White 10 included in the kit, but both beg the question - are these painted white (off-white) or did they apply washable white on the upper surfaces? These color profles are misleading as they make it appear that the various markings were applied over the white (or carefully masked during painting), neither of which is typical for field winter camouflage. If this is washable white, then we have an interesting opportunity to show the effects of rain and weather on the white paint where the underlying camouflage will appear. 

Guest Clunkmeister

Some seriously interesting stuff here.   I've never really looked at the JG 54 FW190s much, usually concentrating on the 109s, but this just blows my mind.

With respect to RBrown's photos of the FW-190 A4, I have a question. The yellow is quite pale to what my impression of the yellow identity markings would be. Does that or could that mean that all of the colors might actually be darker than what the photos show? I am no expert so am really happy to see those photos posted.

Just for reference, the white looked worn and mottled.

Bt0jPad.jpg

Now THAT is what washable white is supposed to look like. The underlying camo is already peeking through the winter camo paint. Thank you for that!

With respect to RBrown's photos of the FW-190 A4, I have a question. The yellow is quite pale to what my impression of the yellow identity markings would be. Does that or could that mean that all of the colors might actually be darker than what the photos show? I am no expert so am really happy to see those photos posted.

The photos I posted and the corresponding photo RBrown posted all appear to be Photoshopped with blue-shifted color correction and (more than) a bit of vibrance added. If we dulled the photos back and dial back the blue, the camo colors could indeed be RLM, or a combo of RLM and captured colors. By the time I do any weathering, it won't matter much anyway...

Here's that same close-up I shared earlier, this time I've put it through Lightroom and let it remove the excess color shift based upon the white of the 11. Now the camo colors do look like RLM greens with what looks like AMT-12 Dark Gray like the background color under the green heart.

jg54_1a.jpg

Edited by HobbyZoneUSA

I think if you use your judgement as to colors it will be hard for anyone to prove you wrong.

The photos in Jagdwaffe of JG54i A-4's in winter white are quite a solid white like the profiles. Could easily be taken soon after it was applied, though. I will post one later.