jack's JACK is Done...what color is that spinner?

marauderdriver

cPlnUnq.jpgAs things start to wrap up on the MENG KIDS Bit O' Lace, I started thinking about

my build for my club contest in March when I saw my favorite subject...Jurrasic Plastic.

I sponsored a Special Category at our contest...Classic Plastic.

I haven't had much luck finishing a GB lately, so this comes at a good time.

Having been collecting Classic Plastic kits for a few years it was time to decide

on what to build that I can build for the OOB category which is the way I planned

to build these kits anyway. So after looking at the list of what is on various benches

I realized that Revel should have some more representation from the early 70's when

I was in high school and cutting my teeth on all the Revel 32ed scale line.

Introducing the 1972 Revel Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden..Code named  Jack by jackQAgENUT.jpg

Edited by marauderdriver

The decals don't look to bad and may try to sun bleach them. I've used 35 year old Monogram P-61 decals before.

I know markings are an option and just in case will keep the finish open. Also "Proof of Age" copyright 1972In3Elfl.jpg

Edited by marauderdriver

Noice!! I agree, that kit was way ahead of its time. About those decals- Sun bleaching them will work, but it took 5 months for my heavily-yellowed Heller Super Frelon decals to clear up. I have heard of people using nail lamps with success, but i have no first-hand knowledge of this. 

http://www.sears.com/hisgadget-inc-36w-pro-uv-nail-dryer-lamp/p-SPM3423979121?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4JnCBRDQ5be3nKCPhpwBEiQAjwN1bvGkY9krBWyp_7Xi36h9W3lCZ5T0NXdvMNKxiR-encgaAuuj8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

So cool Jack. I have one also so will tag along!!....Harv

Hey Harv, hope to have "ME" on the bench this weekend. Please 'TAG" me if I start to wonder off as I want to finish this GB. T'anks Pal

Noice!! I agree, that kit was way ahead of its time. About those decals- Sun bleaching them will work, but it took 5 months for my heavily-yellowed Heller Super Frelon decals to clear up. I have heard of people using nail lamps with success, but i have no first-hand knowledge of this. 

http://www.sears.com/hisgadget-inc-36w-pro-uv-nail-dryer-lamp/p-SPM3423979121?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4JnCBRDQ5be3nKCPhpwBEiQAjwN1bvGkY9krBWyp_7Xi36h9W3lCZ5T0NXdvMNKxiR-encgaAuuj8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds   Thanks Lee, I was pleasantly surprised the decals appeared to be in pretty good shape, with a minimal yellowing. My problem is finding a place "in the sun" as none of my windows get direct sunlight. I hope to use them to keep it as Revel intended.....I just don't think they were thinking 45 years.

I've never seen this kit before...didn't even think Revell could produce something like this back then either. I'll be following.

Revell had a few back in the day that can rival todays kits....sorta! They still had some working features that some "Grown-ups" didn't (don't) like, but since I'm a Toys R Us Kid and DO NOT plan to grow up any time soon, I'm good with them. Thanks

Very nice choice, Jack! And interestingly, this box art is subtly different from the one we have in the kit database, so is clearly a different release. Can I trouble you for a nice, square, front-on photo of it? I'd love to add it to our database.

Kev

Thanks Kev, I'll post the pictures tonight. I saw the subtleties between the art work. My box has a 1971 date and the instructions say 72, same H-288 kit number  

This should be interesting, I had 2 of those in the stash but sold them and replaced them with the latest Hasegawa kit so never got to build them.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis..I was fortunate that Hasegawa came out with theirs as it dropped the price on the Revell kit. As an Old Fart I'm much more interested in this kit. if it fits even close it should turn out decent....

Nice!

Some of the old kits had some amazing recessed details, the Spitfire and KI-61 come to mind.

The rest we're all raised.

Thanks Shawn, I have a couple of the Tony's and will pick up a Spit when the price is right..also looking for the Bf-109G and Beaufighter

Great choice Jack!

I remember building a Jack in my parents recroom using our ping pong table back when the kit first came out.  For it's time it was a very nice kit.

Can't wait to see your progress!

Ted

Thanks Ted, I want to build my Classics OOB but with some new tools and more experience and PATIENCE, Hope to get her on the bench this weekend