B-17G Late - HKM - plane_mc

plane_mc

Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for a long time (too long) and decided it was time to come out and contribute. 

First off, I would like to say that this forum has an incredible amount of talented people posting on it, I hope my contributions don't bring it down too much. 

I should probably start out with an introduction.  I build pretty much anything that catches my eye. I really like the one-off stuff and odd-balls, mostly military, but I also do some civilian stuff.  I have built a few large scale kits in the past including aircraft, cars and a couple of 1/6 military vehicles.  I was working on a 1/6 DML M4A3 Sherman when I got my B-17 kit.  After a few months, I decided to put the Sherman aside and work on the B-17.  I have always been a fan of the B-17 and consider it my favorite WWII aircraft and I was thrilled when I heard that a large scale kit was going to be produced.  I knew I had to get one. 

I must warn everyone that I am an extremely slow builder and this may take a while, but I will try to keep posting my progress as I go. I also apologize in advance for my photography skills, or lack of them. 

I didn't take any pictures of my progress until now, so I don't have any “start†pictures except for a couple I took with the Sherman to show someone the size of it.

2013-08-24-DSCN1382r_zps18613ee1.jpg

2013-08-24-DSCN1383r_zps2fd4de84.jpg

I have a few aftermarket sets, but not all of them.  I will try to scratch build the details that I don't have aftermarket for.  I am also going to try to light the interior to make it easier to see.  I have some ideas and some small, surface mount LEDs that I am going to try to incorporate into the build.

2014-03-22DSCN1698r_zps541dbd73.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1700r_zps46566475.jpg

At the moment, I am skipping around and working on different areas as I find information about them.

I started in the radio room and after modifying the kit floor and not being happy with it, I decided to make a new one out of .040†sheet styrene. 

2014-03-22DSCN1662r_zpsd79fcdbc.jpg

Then I got the crazy idea to open up the strike camera bay and detail it out.  I also opened up the doors in the bottom of the fuselage.  I don't think I am going to put the camera in there for a couple of reasons:  First, I haven't seen any good pictures of the strike camera to use to make it and second, almost all of the reference I have of the camera bay show it without the camera installed.  I still have to add the wiring and a couple of other small details.

2014-03-22DSCN1663r_zps801698ef.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1674r_zps489c6c7f.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1667r_zps9bcbf94f.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1665r_zps28578a67.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1672r_zps9459b33d.jpg

To be continued. . .

Thanks Kevin.

Continuing from the first post:

I decided I had to detail the sides of the fuselage to add in the missing details.  I know it is not 100% correct, but it looks much better than it did before.

2014-03-22DSCN1669r_zps9d73403b.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1668r_zpsba64e0af.jpg

I decided to detail under the cockpit as this will be visible through the open entry door. 

2014-03-22DSCN1654r_zpsc8108f92.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1650r_zps8d3fd092.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1656r_zpsf87c6207.jpg

I raised the instrument panel and controls a little, I am still not sure if I am going to use the kit IP or scratch my own.  I have started detailing the floor area by adding the depressions for the locks and scribing some panel lines.  I have also added the trim wheel to the side and moved the autopilot controls up a little.  I still have a lot to do to this area.

2014-03-22DSCN1653r_zps2e3d3616.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1651r_zps9b5ba35e.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1675r_zpsf4d4e6e9.jpg

I opened up all the doorways on the interior bulkheads to make it easier to see the interior.  I also removed the ball turret ammo bins and filled in the details on that bulkhead.

2014-03-22DSCN1658r_zpsfcf9313c.jpg

2014-03-22DSCN1660r_zps82ddecdd.jpg

To be continued. . .

That's some serious building going on there.  You did a fantastic job in the radio room especially the lower compartment.  I also love what you did in the tunnel.   Don't worry about being slow.  Many of us are slow but are having great fun doing the build.  

Where did you get that giant Sherman?  That's right up my alley.  

Edited by Silver Dollar

Continuing:

I haven't decided for sure on what markings I will be putting on it.  I have pretty much narrowed it down to 3 choices:  D-Day Doll (Zotz decals), Blonde Bomber II (both from the 447th BG) or Heaven Sent (from the 100th BG).  I really like Blonde Bomber II and Heaven Sent because of the nose art, my favorite Vargas girl.  I have one of the Esquire centerfolds hanging in my model room.  I still have plenty of time to decide for sure which one I will do.

d-daydoll1-447bgcom_zpsa68b8dc4.jpg

From the 447bg.com website

43-38524-447bgcom_zpsf70e42c9.jpg

From the 447bg.com website.

Heaven-100thbgcom_zpsd8a3cb87.jpg

From the 100thbg.com website.

2014-03-22DSCN1681r_zps951137d9.jpg

I didn't notice this at first, my wife pointed it out to me one day, but if I am missing any parts to my build, I know who to blame and where to look. :)

2014-03-22DSCN1683r_zpsfee5c0c8.jpg

That catches me up for now.  I hope to post some more progress soon.

Thanks for looking

That's some serious building going on there.  You did a fantastic job in the radio room especially the lower compartment.  Don't worry about being slow.  Many of us are slow but are having great fun doing the build.  

Where did you get that giant Sherman?  That's right up my alley.  

Thanks SD, I am having fun.  I only work on it a few hours a week, so I don't get a lot done at a time.

The Sherman is put out by DML, I got mine from Roll Models.  I am in the process of scratch building the entire interior for it as it comes with exterior detail only.  I have the transmission and drivers controls done so far.

Hi Mark,

It's great to see another B-17 build starting up! But first……  Holy crap that Sherman is big!

That is some really nice scratch building and additions you're making on this kit, especially all the little pulleys under the cockpit. Looks like you've been able to make significant progress on it so far and interesting to see you're working on multiple areas at once. I can appreciate how long it takes to do something like this, but I'm looking forward to seeing your next update!

Craig 

Guest Peterpools

Mark

What a way to say hello and welcome aboard. Fantastic start on the Fortress and no doubt about it, you're loaded for bear. Terrific start and the detailing is looking mighty fine

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Mark,

It's great to see another B-17 build starting up! But first……  Holy crap that Sherman is big!

That is some really nice scratch building and additions you're making on this kit, especially all the little pulleys under the cockpit. Looks like you've been able to make significant progress on it so far and interesting to see you're working on multiple areas at once. I can appreciate how long it takes to do something like this, but I'm looking forward to seeing your next update!

Craig 

Thanks Craig, yes the Sherman is quite big.  It will be 38.5" long when finished.

Mark

What a way to say hello and welcome aboard. Fantastic start on the Fortress and no doubt about it, you're loaded for bear. Terrific start and the detailing is looking mighty fine

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Hi - welcome, and great start!

This great thread will help you with reference details, I used it recently on my B-17 build:

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40406

good luck :-)

Thanks for the link, I have looked at that thread many times.  I also wore out your B-17 build thread, you did a great job on yours.  I hope I can make mine look half as good.