Tamiya JASDF F-15J Eagle Aggressor

dmthamade

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. Hello Mike!! I've seen these too, and yes they do work great. I have some foam pieces from packing material that I will glue to the plates to provide a positive mask. I use the sponge method when there is no way to get a plastic plate in. I'm just finishing up gluing the intake tubes together, will sand and hopefully paint tomorrow.

Don

Edited by dmthamade

Great job on the intakes ! That's tricky to get them looking good.

They are a bit of work, but i've been able to get them done with no filler, just some Mr. Surfacer. Finished with the intakes, i've put a light coat of white to check for flaws, had to go back once on a couple of spots. Pics below aren't the greatest, i have no idea how to get a pic of these as my picture taking skills are minimal.

9da64321-b31a-4ecc-896f-4e2b363e62aa_zps

b2c0e193-18ef-45be-8f20-0a72cdcd7ef0_zps

Will move on to the exhaust parts now.

Don

Thank you for the feedback, mike. I decided to do 92-8912. It's 3 colors, green, light tan and dark brown. This aircraft had 3 different colors at 3 different time frames. Which one i do will be decided which one i can find the best match for the colors.

http://geta-o.jp/LATEST/2008-06/2008-06-16/jf8912(agr)f-15j-8787.jpg

I like it's a hard edge camo scheme. I'm starting on the tailpipes now, They have sinkmarks that i have to fill first before assembling.

Don

Guest Peterpools

Don

Super start and thanks for all the detailed photos regarding the pitfalls and corrections needed. Looking mighty good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks for the feedback, guys!! I've kinda been off line for the last two days due to severe winter weather. We've been without power for the last two days, just came back one an hour or so ago. Hopefully will get back to it tomorrow.

Don

Little bit of progress. I've managed to finish the intake tubes, front engine faces and to paint the grey on the entrance of the tubes. The inlet to bottom fuselage joint should be able to be blended in with Mr. Surfacer. Some pics.

IMG_3135_zps8fac72fe.jpg

IMG_3134_zps97b37d93.jpg

The engine faces got a coat of metallic grey, then were glued onto the tubes. I didn't do a wash as these along with most of the intake tubes are invisible after the build is finished. Have to wonder why i bothered.

IMG_3138_zps4547b66e.jpg

IMG_3118_zps2a0a3507.jpg

Don

Don, nice work on the intakes. It's funny you are doing that particular scheme. I have purchased 1/72 hasegawa F-15J that has decals and paint guide for this jet. I bought this kit before there was TB sheet. So, I can wait to see when you get to the painting the camo. :)

Don, nice work on the intakes. It's funny you are doing that particular scheme. I have purchased 1/72 hasegawa F-15J that has decals and paint guide for this jet. I bought this kit before there was TB sheet. So, I can wait to see when you get to the painting the camo. :)

Hello Mike!! I think the painting part will be easy compared to the masking that will be necessary. The Two Bobs sheet has the stencils with a grey background so some masking is unecessary. There is a lot of masking to do otherwise. I found some masking tape from Jammy Dog and Aizu, the thinnest at .4mm up to 2mm. Should make masking a little less tortuorous. I did finish the rear fan and flame holder and the exhaust pipes. I'll be able to start on closing up the fuselage halves soon.

IMG_3187_zpsc34501e2.jpg

The exhaust cans still need a bit of work, can never get the streaky finish on the inside right.

IMG_3195_zps0b01cabe.jpg

Don

Just doing some dryfitting of the wings to fuselage, the fit is a little.... needs work just like i remembered. I've done 4 of these Eagles so far and the joint was always "fun". I think this time i'm going to try gluing the upper wings to the upper half, then see if the lowers would be give a better fit glued to the lower fuselage half or to the upper wings. Fit on the top is most crucial as is most visible, lower i can play with.

Don

Spent some time scraping/sanding/shimming the wing/fuselage joint. Ended up with this.

IMG_3198_zps02229bab.jpg

Should be able to finish this with no fill, maybe a little Mr.Surfacer. Dryfitting shows gluing the wing bottoms glued to the uppers will give a good fit with the lower fuselage. Will have to shim two areas but should give a good fit.

Don