Mk V'c' Spitfire converted from Tamiya IX'c'?

Anthony in NZ

Ok, just thinking out loud here for a future project.

Whilst working down at the hangar I got to wondering how difficult it might be to convert the Tamiya IX'c' into a late MkV'c'.

With the advent of the Tamiya Mosquito and the 'short' Merlin may mean a conversion is not so difficult? Possibly taking the Oil cooler from the new Revell Spitfire II and shortening the engine mount and cowls might get me there?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Anthony

It's a slightly more expensive option, but the Hobbyboss cowl sides appear to fit the Tamiya fuselage quite well. The Hobbyboss top cowl is less round at the back and a little wider than the Tamiya fuselage so there are some minor fit issues there - though nothing that couldn't be overcome.

The Hobbyboss b-wings also fit the Tamiya fuselage quite well so even an 'improved' Vb would be possible this way.

It's certainly doable - I have plans to do one, cutting down the rear of the cowling parts, so you get to keep all the fine Tamiya detail, a couple of useful threads...

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/3691-converting-the-tamiya-spitfire-mkixc-to-mkvc-trop-feasibility/?do=findComment&comment=48461

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/3723-tamigawa-spitfire-mkvc-trop/?hl=spitfire

No it changed from the Vb to the Vc with the introduction of the "universal wing", might have changed previously, but that I don't know...

Pretty sure that's correct. There's an extra small blister near the edge of the well which alerted me when - I think it was Ian's thread on improving the Revell Mk II - he illustrated a u/c detail with a photo of the Shuttleworth Mk V, which has the C wing and was more advanced than the A or B wing appropriate for the Mk II.

Not being one to open as kit before starting it, I've only pondered so far whether fitting an adapted Tamiya wing to the old 1960s vintage pure Revell Mk I (not the later Hasegawa hybrid issue) is a feasible option, as the raised rivets on the Revell aft fuselage are more 'authentic' than the Tamiya indented flush rivet detail in that area. And filling in less than a square inch of twin rad recess to fit the oil cooler doesn't appear too arduous. Or failing that, casting a copy of the PCM gull wing insert and splicing that as an inlay to the Revell wing,

Though no doubt as soon as I did something like that, Tamiya will issue the definitive short nose Merlin Spitfire with better raised rivets than Revell's.

Edited by Chek

Thanks for everyones input, This is very informative for me. Looking more like a 'go' the more I look at it.

I imagine the cockpit will be essentially the same?

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

I may be just lazy, but the only differences I note between early and late Spitfire cockpits are the circular gun firing button on early birds versus the rectangular rocker switch on cannon armed types.the pump action maingear raising unit on very early examples versus the auto hydraulic version on later ones, and the gun sights. Any other differences can likely be lived with. . 

• 5 months later...

Sorry to drag this old thread up again.

So it seems entirely feesable from what you guys are saying.  Now I have this Tempest nose correction finished and out the door I can look at some 'me' time at the bench again.

Might start tinkering with the wing first, just got to figure out where to get an oil cooler from now...

Thanks guys!