Sir Douglas Bader 1/10

mark31

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Looking forward to following your build. Please go slow so I can take notes on figure painting, especially the face

Keep 'em comin

Peter

I used to take my daughters to swimming lessons when they were very young. After a while you get to know some of the other parents or grandparents who take their kids and look after them. I asked one old timer grandfather about his limp and he said he was a double amputee. Well we got talking and he told me he had lost his legs during WW2 at Pt Cook RAAF Base training in a Tiger Moth. Long story short he had met Bader, and was part of some special club that Bader had formed for pilots who were amputees.

Funny who you bump into randomly. If I hadn't have asked or shown any concern for his gait I'd never have learnt such a fascinating life story.

Cool kit of a fascinating character.

Matty

Very nice! Would be very cool in an R/C 10th scale Spit

Yes indeed but i have not the room for that

Mark, is there a "simulated" wooden leg in the kit too?

No wooden leg in this one

Mark

Looking forward to following your build. Please go slow so I can take notes on figure painting, especially the face

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter

The face will be the hardest part to paint

I will try to take pics off evry step

I have a master painter in the club ho is going to laern me how to paint this one

I used to take my daughters to swimming lessons when they were very young. After a while you get to know some of the other parents or grandparents who take their kids and look after them. I asked one old timer grandfather about his limp and he said he was a double amputee. Well we got talking and he told me he had lost his legs during WW2 at Pt Cook RAAF Base training in a Tiger Moth. Long story short he had met Bader, and was part of some special club that Bader had formed for pilots who were amputees.

Funny who you bump into randomly. If I hadn't have asked or shown any concern for his gait I'd never have learnt such a fascinating life story.

Cool kit of a fascinating character.

Matty

Nice story

Mark

Looking very nice so far Mark. Are you using acrylics because that looks like very smooth and tidy blending if you are?

Douglas Bader was an old boy of my secondary school in Oxford, along with Guy Gibson and (I found out much later) Adrian Warburton - not a bad collection from one smallish school although both DB and AW were certainly challenging characters.

Dilip Sarkar's book is by far the best researched book on his life and a very good read IMHO

Torben

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Very nice progress and the highlights and shadows on his pants look great. The figure's detaiIs are simply amazing.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter