MIG-29 9-12 Aggressor

thierry laurent

Hello Thierry,

A big challenge with this kit...i have the UM from revell,same work,same problem...i have cut the lerx and now,he sleep in the box.... :doh:

Jean-luc

Hi, in fact as I wrote initially I put the kit aside for some months. I worked on it last year during my rare actual period of holidays and needed fresh air after this. I was also stuck by another problem I still have to solve but more on this later!

Brave project Thierry!

Really looking forward to doing a MiG-29K now - mostly OOB. It's one model Trumpeter got mostly right.

Tony

I'd like doing one as well. However, I'm waiting as well for pictures of the single seaters as I would not be surprised seeing the Russians taking the same route than the Indians: using the two-seater canopy on them... In spite of the shape difference, I'm wondering if it would not be possible to use the MIG-29UB in such a case?

When I wrote that the wing root asked for work, I simply wrote that it was because the kit were quite different in this aera. This is in fact because the MIG-29M has a flatter LERX edge. So, I had the cut into the Trumpy section on some millimeters to bend it up to get the same cross-section than the one of the corrected Revell fatter LERX. This is a small area but an important one as well as the transition to the wing root should stay smooth in spite of the fact the LERX edge is thicker. I wondered if an easier approach could not be used: replacing only the LERX edge. However, in spite of measurements, I was not so sure it was possible and prefered taking a less risky route!

Well a quick check this morning showed that the UB canopy rear section is flatter and the clear section starts higher. So, this is unfortunately not an option to make a KUB...!

I was thinking of the same thing, if it were possible to hack the Revell UB upper cockpit/fuselage area and splice it into a K for a KUB. Pity.

It would be good to see a wing-fold for the K (and KUB). I need to talk to the experts about the feasibility of designing a simple resin slot-in. On reflection, I could live with fairly 'flat' detail if painted grey and given a dark wash to highlight crudely fashioned hinges and cylinders. The other option is scratching one for that one tip folded, one wingtip down and locked look ~ but such might look silly (?). Don't know if they fold in synchronism.

Tony

Ok, today we will look at the belly.

I took the same approach: keeping the Trumpeter part and adding the LERX section from the Revell kit. This asked for more sanding than the upper section but with a little bit of patience, this was Ok. I still need to re-scribe this part as well.

I took care to keep as much as possible the Trumpeter panel lines as they are generally correct. This picture is a little bit dark but it shows where the cut should be made.

P1060860.jpg

And now the best part: it is still possible to put the upper fuselage on the lower one! Yes!

This remark may seem trivial but in fact it is not!!! The fuselage is a quite long part and any misalignment of the upper or lower parts assemblies would have resulted in a disaster! So, this is another very important point: if you want to do this check more than ten times that everything stay correctly aligned and don't trust your eyes!!! A 2mm misalignement over a 40cm part is not visible but is sufficient to prevent the correct assembly of the fuselage. You've been warned!

And now here is a view of the internal side. Again, I reinforced the part with the useless sections from the other kit.

P1060869.jpg

I'll have to take care regarding the weight of the kit as this technique has a drawback: the kit is noticeably heavier! Moreover, I'll have to avoid the tail-sitter syndrom...

Next week we will have a look at the wings.

Great work Thierry!

Am getting to like the Tochka Opori more and more. It's not a giant like the F-15 or Su-27, so painting is more manageable. More like an F-16, but chunkier with the two engine pods and nozzles.

Wonder if there's a metal hook for the K, to drop to the ground to counterbalance the Aries resin jetpipe assemblies?

Beginning to realise why some people are migrating back to 1/48, with the recent Chinese 9-12 & 9-13 kits (and MiG-25, with a MiG-31 around the corner - too big for 1/32?!).

Am a 1/32 man so will persevere and follow your endeavours with great interest.

Tony

this is a much better aproach than trying to correct the revell kit, good job.

with the zacto nose and a resin pit i had to add zero weight to keep it sitting on the nose gear 

Yes, currently, this is probably the best approach but this is really a risky business! Modifying the Revell kit is less risky but asks for far more work. so there is no perfect option :-(

The problem with the weight lies in the fact I added the long reinforcement sections under the rear upper fuselage...!

Great work Thierry!

Am getting to like the Tochka Opori more and more. It's not a giant like the F-15 or Su-27, so painting is more manageable. More like an F-16, but chunkier with the two engine pods and nozzles.

Wonder if there's a metal hook for the K, to drop to the ground to counterbalance the Aries resin jetpipe assemblies?

Beginning to realise why some people are migrating back to 1/48, with the recent Chinese 9-12 & 9-13 kits (and MiG-25, with a MiG-31 around the corner - too big for 1/32?!).

Am a 1/32 man so will persevere and follow your endeavours with great interest.

Tony

Indeed, such kits are attractive but I've no doubt such topics will be revisited in large scale as well. Moreover, the missing links will probably appear in the future. The MIG-25, 27 and 31 are more or less the last noticeable MIG marks missing in the Trumpeter line! Wait and see... In the meanwhile, I've enough kits to build!

Thierry, this is a splendid project, some very sensible techniques used to solve some difficult challenges. I will watch with great interest!

Tim

Thanks Tim, this is not the kind of project you can jump into without afterthought! Even if we do not look at the aftermarkets items, the addition of the price of the two kits is sufficiently expensive to avoid taking the risk to ruin both of them. I'm a VERY slow builder but for such a project, this is more a plus than a minus point ;-)

Tony, look here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=48825&highlight=%D0%9C%D0%B8%D0%93-29&page=61

This seems to confirm that both wings unfold symmetrically. This is a Russian forum thread dedicated to the MIG-29K. So, I'm sure as soon as pictures of the single seat K will appear you'll find them there.

HTH

Thierry

Hi,

As the release of new MIG-29 accessories is a quite rare event, I thought it would be useful to notify the release of an external IFR probe used by some air forces on retrofitted early MIGs:

http://www.cmkkits.com/en/detail-sets-accessories/mig-29smp-bm-fixed-ifr-probe-1-32/

Cheers

Thierry