WnW Junkers D.I .......Feeling the need for a nice quick OOB build....

monthebiff

So, with a couple of full on conversions on the go and not completing a build in the last year I decided to start on this one and just enjoy a simple OOB build.

20180428_125816.jpg

First up is the lower fuselage frame which is made up just three pieces!

20180428_175737.jpg

Huge amounts of flash on the outer fuselage frames to remove.

20180428_125718.jpg

Really disapointed with the fit in places, just overerly tight and not fitting at all without serious trimming. Control surface does not fit onto the tailplane without some careful adjustment.

20180428_151421.jpg

I was keen to see how the wings went together and how much clean up they would require around the leading edges.

20180428_173852.jpg

That was the best I could achieve and not looking foward to cleaning up around all that beautifuly rendered corrugated surface!

After a fun afternoon at the bench I had all of the major parts built up and cockpit parts ready for painting.

20180428_174128.jpg

Got to say, its a lovely little kit and goes together very quickly, looking foward to getting some paint on and finish building the cockpit.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Great start Andy!

Recon this is probably the most straightforward of the WnW kits?

Iain

Its a lovely little kit Iain and is a very simple build, I have come across a couple of silly fit issue's which should have been ironed out at the test shot stage but otherwise a lot of fun to build!

Regards. Andy 

I am in with a load of popcorn. Haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet but i have a couple of ideas. Following your progress and taking notes!

Hi Karim, thanks for checking by. its a great little kit wnW have put together. Hopefully I can do it some justice!

Regards. Andy

that does look like a fun build, i'm really interested to see how your decals go in the wing texture, great start

WnW say the decals are extra thin, I like you are very interested to see how they perform!

Regards. Andy

Spent this evening spraying the main interior components ready to move on to detail painting.

20180502_204801.jpg

I thought I would go with unpainted fuselage interior with the main cockpit frame work in light grey/green for some interest. How correct it is I'm not sure but fun all the way on this build!!

For the fuselage interior I first sprayed a very light coat of Tamiya primer followed by a pre shade of dark grey. I then misted over Vallejo Dark Aluminium metal coat.

20180502_204833.jpg

I think I have managed to add a little variation to the corregation and should look interesting with the grey green cockpit frame work.

Regards. Andy

I have the kit so it is great to see this build going on while I am in the trenches with my other builds.

I was planning to clean up around "all that beautifuly rendered corrugated surface" using a Fiberglass scratch brush tool. I am betting that a buffing motion parallel to the grooves will remove the trash in the grooves and high points equally.

Rick

Cockpit just about ready for closing up with all of th major components ow painted and just needing some final weathering.

20180505_102650.jpg

20180505_102808.jpg

20180505_102844.jpg

I pre shaded the rear cockpit panel which has a subtle fabric texture moulded and then covered in a scrap of Aviattic fabric decal.

20180503_182505.jpg

20180504_154117.jpg

Then the seat was added with HWW fabric belts I had in the stash that were earmarked for a Fokker D VII build.

20180505_102952.jpg

So not quite an OOB build but almost! Should get the cockpit closed today and then on to fitting the engine which is pretty well built up now.

Regards. Andy