1/12 Bristol Beaufighter Front Fuselage - scratch build

Trak-Tor

Hi there, I'm sure you have this covered but the size - and weight - of the end result means some (early) thought should probably be given to the load-bearing structure of the thing - to avoid saggy wings and tailplanes, or collapsed undercarriage...

I suspect it will need what sculptors call an 'armature' of some kind: plywood perhaps or, better still, sheet aluminium? To work, this will probably be non-scale and so have to be carefully concealed.

Thanks for the replies!

Biscuit Tin, thanks for the advice. 
I'm working only on the front section which should sit on some kind of trolley when finished.
Still I'm sure I need to pay attention to the weight issues due to the scale.
But I need to finish this first.

Then I'll have time to think about wings and undercarriage.

Juraj 

An interesting project Juraj.

It's of special interest to me because the nose is the same area that my 1/32 Revell Beaufighter build stalled at.

In your research, have you obtained the position dimensions for the cannon installation that you could share?

As you probably are aware, the cannon troughs on the underside of the nose are asymmetrical due to allowing breech access, as the Hispano guns are not left or right handed.  The best illustration I've found is the rebuild of A8-328 which gives enough information to estimate with, but if you have actual dimensions, that would be much better. Here's the photo I was working from.

38624787166_1468ab2280_b.jpg

Hello Chek,
thanks for the interest.

Actually this area was the very reason I've started my deep and long research.
Before that, I've tried to replicate the fuselage in 3D from the profiles and 3-view drawings (I think I have all of them).

But I just couldn't get it right.

And, as I've been succesful in my research, I now have the dimensions and positions of the Blast Tubes.

Yes, they are assymetrical. 

But I'm still not sure how would this apply to the Revell model.
If the (complex) shape of the fuselage is not correct, the openings would not be correct anyway.
The positions would be right when looking at the model "face to face", but the openings still could look ugly.
I don't know, I've never tried it.

:)

Here is my picture of this area made in Duxford:
37797787305_c1175bfd6f_b.jpg

And here's a simple rendering of it as I have it now:

38629045296_06ae2c88b7_b.jpg

If there is interest, I may get a piece of the Revell 1/32 model and try to put the blast tubes right.

But, to say the truth, I don't expect the shape of the fuselage to be correct.

And I expect this to be the hard part of my 1/12 model too.

If you are interested in more details, just send me a message.
I'm willing to help, if I can.

Juraj

Thanks Juraj, your added illustrations are very helpful.

Although if you don't mind, I'd prefer to keep conversation about it on this thread, for the benefit of any other members who have an interest in the Beau. I'm sure there are many here,

It's a fascinating aircraft, as I'm sure you'll agree.

• 2 months later...

I think it's time for another small update. 
First, I have added first part of the armour to the paper version.
Just a test, 1mm cardstock. The whole structure is much more rigid now...

39919653982_816ba1e733_b.jpg

39919653332_6b97de645c_b.jpg

And as a preparation for the plastic version I have tested 0.4mm plastic card. It's the same thickness as the paper used.So should be ok.
I still want to test a 0.2mm plastic. I'm afraid that it will be too thin and floppy though...

And I'm thinking'about using some plotter to cut that all, but I need to check if there's some service like that around...

39919650732_8cfe98de3c_b.jpg

39919651742_5f035ed2e0_b.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Trak-Tor

Part 2 of the update of a very slow progress...

The dashboard.
I've tried 0.27mm and 0.15mm aluminium (litho plates).
It's not bad for a first try. The edges of thin one are hard to sand without bending...

But I think I'll use PE together with the instruments and other stuff for the final thing.

39919652372_c3d5eb0105_b.jpg

39919653002_5488e7f23a_b.jpg

And here's the updated dashboard in 3D with the support structure at the back and Artificial Horizon instrument installed:

39919653832_be1bf67cbb_b.jpg

39919653902_4901a09a18_b.jpg

If there's anybody out there willing to share exact dimensions for this type (rectangular) of Blind Flying Panel, contact me, please. I'd like to have it correct.

And that's all for now, I'm afraid.
I hope to be back soon.

Juraj

Edited by Trak-Tor