HobbyBoss IL-2M3 Shurmovik

Urs

A most interesting build of a not so popular subject. Like Harv, I'll be pulling up my chair and following your build to it's completion.  The finished cockpit is simply outstanding. Those hand holds couldn't possibly look any better, and the wood floor blends in perfectly with your overall weathering scheme.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

Urs

Terrific front office and the weathering is what I would think the Shurmovik

would have looked like from heavy combat.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Yup!! The finished pit looks great!! What scheme are you going to finish the build? If i can offer some advice, carefully remove the tadpole rudder counterweight and reinstall near the end, it's easily broken off and lost, ask me how i know....

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the sunny days that WE I found some time for my Iljuschin for further build. I have to admit I've never put that heavy load of metal to an aircraft model. I get the impression my model gained weight by a ton. The Eduard PE-parts worth any penny and turn the outer shape of the Flying Tank into a nice 3D experience. Sadly Eduard external PE-sheet provides too few maintenance hatches and letting out enough EP-hatches for the outer portion of the wings. Maybe Eduards concession to the wooden wing variant produced until 1944, though both wing types were produced for that IL-2 subtype.
001.jpg

The kit carbutor intake I cut because it was of unround shape. I replaced it by a Aluminum turn part I made. The mesh for the sandfilter is Eduard too. The facing intake part was fully closed and needed to be drilled out in the ellipsoid appear of the original thing. 002.jpg

The kit provides two undercarriage options – that one made of white metal and moulded plastic..
003.jpg

The lower wing with tons of hatches to do. I think to use Bare Metal Foil for that to have the same style of hatches over the whole wing.
004.jpg

Edited by Urs

That's a lot of Eduard PE hatches, but they do look really quite good, as does that carb intake screen. If you're going to try to use Bare Metal for additional hatches, they're going to be quite a bit thinner then the Eduard PE hatches.  As a suggestion, try .040 sheet plastic which should be a lot closer in thickness.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Thanks guys for the ideas and the shared pics.🖒🖒🖒

Ideal weather on Good Friday to work a little for the wings and the missing maintenance hatches on the upper and lower wing. Using very thin Greensheetsome copper wire for the joints and some small PE from the junk box for the fasteners. I know the real ones were as prominent as the ones provided by Eduard and the selfmade but they will effect fine with the paintjob.

20170414_180338.jpg

Added the Eduard modyfied rails for the RS-82 rockets. The rockets are aftermarket RES-IM RS-82 made of resine. The railds are just clicked in and will been removed for paintjob.

20170414_180310.jpg

Edited by Urs