Fw 190A TANJA

RBrown

Here is the profile:

TANJA.jpg

Interesting that this rendering also lacks the black outline to the fuselage crosses.

There is the possibility that the A-6 was replaced with an A-8 and the pilot's personal marking applied to the new machine.  In the photograph of Schwarze 11 there is the number 3 next to the TANJA marking, perhaps indicating the third incarnation of the marking.  So perhaps the A-8 would be the fourth aircraft to be so marked. 

It is also possible that the profile artists are taking a best guess approach  based on the single photo available. 

However, the best evidence, from my point of view, strongly supports the A-6 hypothesis. 

In Volume II of Kagero's Focke-Wulf series there is a depiction of a bomb toting Fw 190 with the name "TANJA" below the cockpit. 

According to the notation accompanying the profile the aircraft is an A-8 assigned to JG 51.  However the profile appears to depict an A-5 or A-6, not an A-8 with the large bulged fuselage weapon access panel .  I have found one photograph of the aircraft which unfortunately does not clarify the issue for me. 

So can anyone shed any light on what version of Fw 190 the machine actually was?

TANJA_1_JG_51.jpg

TANJA_Copy.jpg

This also shows the 3 after the name. So you very much could be correct......Harv