2003 series Cylon Raider

spacewolf

So... sneaking in with a Christmas day update !!  :whistle:  ....  Merry Ho Ho to all my LSP family ! May there be gifts of plastic, aftermarket, and for those who enjoy such, good 'spirits' to be enjoyed !!

The build continues...Moving aft on the bottom wing... seams being filled and EVERYTHING has to go....all the detail is wrong...

8w14mMi.jpg

A new chisel blade does good work... including on my finger.. nice stab that ensures my DNA will be inside the model :ninja: ...

1PpSW9k.jpg

Sheet was used to fill in...

QA2Bns7.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Whilst waiting for glue to dry I did a few other things... including trimming and sanding off this detail.. which revealed a hole where a locator pin would go... this was filled with sprue..

OCEmYos.jpg

After sanding and filling, the detail area's were drawn on.....

JjwiDIz.jpg

The weapons bay cut out and the raised detail made and glued on.

Q60cXIc.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Adding raised detail and cleaning up boo boo's... using liquefied plastic from the kit sprues as filler....

55V0xiW.jpg

Sanded smooth it looks better

andzFHe.jpg

And the last of the raised panels that I can put on at this point attached...

VgE4vzT.jpg

Waiting on info for the weapons bays before I can put the lower wing panel on and finish up the wing.. but progress is being made ! Hopefully I'll get in another small update before the new year.

Happy Christmas all !!

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

This is a fun build to watch. I have all the BG DVD's, all seasons, all movies.

Sad they Jumped the shark with the Starbuck thing. Show went to hell. Oh well.

Great work going on here and I have learned from this thread quite a bit. :)

look like cymbal "boom" stands

That's what I'm thinking too, Shawn. Seems like an expensive way to display aircraft models. I like the fact that they're counter weighted.

A few pics of Jim's setup... he probably told me what the stands were, but that was years ago....

[/url

Hopefully someone knows more about them than me !!

Cheers

Vaughn

Yes, cymbal stands. And Heavy Duty cymbal stands at that. He uses heavy stands to mount light models, and I use light stands to mount heavy cymbals. :huh:

This is a fun build to watch. I have all the BG DVD's, all seasons, all movies.

Sad they Jumped the shark with the Starbuck thing. Show went to hell. Oh well.

Great work going on here and I have learned from this thread quite a bit. :)

Yes, cymbal stands. And Heavy Duty cymbal stands at that. He uses heavy stands to mount light models, and I use light stands to mount heavy cymbals. :huh:

Glad you are a fan of BSG and glad I can pass on some tips ! I remember seeing the original many times in the theater... like the 2003 version too. I have no issue with women taking male roles and some of the acting was top notch in my opinion.

Cymbal stands ?.. well, they do support the models nicely !!

Cheers

Vaughn

So... as 'sorta' promised... an update before the New Year !! :yahoo:

I'm waiting on info for the weapons bays ...from no less a person than Lee Stringer himself !! I have a mutual friend who put us in contact... he's in the middle of a move but will get back to me... so, Had to get busy with something. I decided to take a stab at the engines.  Using 7/16th and 3/8th Evergreen tube two sections were cut...

6WSbEfH.jpg

fitted inside each other, glued and taper filed inside and out to make the VEN...

yhdzNAG.jpg

A section of 7/16 tube cut to appox length, a strip of thin sheet wrapped around and glued, then stretched sprue wrapped around ...marking in place for spacing more detail..

tvPg5z9.jpg

And finally 22 strips of 1 mm X 6 mm glued on.

WNH9UL4.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

In one of those happy coincidences that sometimes happen, My friend Don and I were out at the local hobby shop on Boxing Day for the sales... we found these wonderful photo etch kits that just 'happen' to fulfill a need...

tWX6jpi.jpg

Whilst I'm going with the CGI version, the 'hero' prop had the rear face of the engine filled with numerous holes... so I thought this was perfect. A thin ring was cut to fit inside the main tube and provide a backing ledge for the photo etch.

Pg050If.jpg

The metal was carefully cut to size...

H9CpBdN.jpg

And finally the grooves scribed into the VEN's and the VEN glued on....

tN59TPZ.jpg

Next up ?... lighting !!... But that's for the New Year.

Thanks all for watching and chiming in... Happy New Year to my friends and Family here on LSP !! :party0023:

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

Awfully quiet around here..... :hmmm: ....

Oh well... on with the build !  Just for motivation I splashed on some color.. MM chrome silver, Humbrol gold and copper..

6FZ9gUG.jpg

I was thinking about the front of the engine, not much will be seen but there has to be something... I cut a section of 3/8 tube to fit inside and a disk of .040... glued together they make a cap for the end of the tube... two 2 mm slices were cut for the intake area...

s7BFhcq.jpg

Glued together, the front edge rounded and glued on it looked good... but what to do for engine face detail...I had the 1/24 scale Raider that Kip Hart put out but it got destroyed in a move.. all I salvaged was the engines and a few other parts... I pulled the engines out to see what I could think of..

KluI7p5.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

The front face of his part is concave.. with what is obviously a cast of a reamer in the center ... :)...

oKVPz7G.jpg

I figured that it would be fitting to use something from Kips old kit to spruce up the one I'm doing... so I carefully cut off the reamer and glued it in place...

li6PmJz.jpg

Fitted on the engine it looks good...

HSWUIrB.jpg

Now for some paint !!

Edited by spacewolf