Fisher Sea Fury: 7/7/18: The Centaurus/ Change of Plans

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

David

I've never used Wesley's Bleache-White, just Dawn and warm water, a tooth brush and let dry. So far, I;ve had no problems at all. I also built Paul's F.8 Meteor Conversion and only washed the parts in Dawn.

I know Brian used Wesley's Bleache-White but I've been lucky with Dawn. For the most part, Paul's kit's don't seem to have very much mold release on them

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Kurok

Awesome - love to see your Sea Fury underway. My first Sea Fury had the one piece wing and the detail is just as amazing

Peter

David

I've never used Wesley's Bleache-White, just Dawn and warm water, a tooth brush and let dry. So far, I;ve had no problems at all. I also built Paul's F.8 Meteor Conversion and only washed the parts in Dawn.

I know Brian used Wesley's Bleache-White but I've been lucky with Dawn. For the most part, Paul's kit's don't seem to have very much mold release on them

Peter

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. I had some paint lift off in my cockpit tub, and i was pretty sure i was diligent in scrubbing the parts down. I've touched it up and its drying now. Maybe it had something to do with using Tamiya acrylics, even though i laid it down over their gray lacquer primer...

-d-

Guest Peterpools

David

Could be.

My first Sea Fury was all acrylics and all went well. This time around, I'm 100% lacquer and am firmly convinced a good lacquer primer, solves a lot of problems.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 6/30/18: THE FRONT OFFICE

Slow but steady these days and as I reacquainted myself with the Sea Fury, I decided as with the first build and my usual practice to dig in with the front office as step one. I'm about 75% done with the office and need to clean up a few things, as the left should harness is pinched at the top, knocking the seat out of alignment, add a touch of weathering to the belts and harnesses and a bit more dsry brushing for the details.

What can I say, Paul is a magician: the detail and castings are as brilliant as ever. For the office, all the resin parts were thoroughly washed in warm water and Dawn Dishwasher detergent to remove any mold grease. Once dry, I added the resin throttle, a maze of PE levers where all the levers had the knobs built up with Krystal Kleer for effect. Once everything was dry, thought it best to insure there would be no problems with any paint lifting from the resin and PE (IP parts) by using a lacquer primer. Mr Surfacer 1200: thinned out to about 1drop of Primer to 3 drops of Mr Color Leveling Thinner and t 4 drops of Retarder to insure the primer would flow on smooth as can be.

Next up, Mr Color Flat Black was air brushed on and left to dry for a few hours. I have noticed with Mr Color the flat colors are not as tough as the normal eggshell finish & gloss colors and it is rather easy to scrap a bit of paint off! Egads, not what I was expecting and a bit of extra care was needed. I have to confess I did use a bit of poetic license with the knobs and switches, just to make things look a bit busier.

The IP proved to be a slight hold up as the paper instrument panels gauges couldn't be seen very well. A quick email to Paul and two new sets of gauges were in my mail box, clear across the states in a few days. I cut the paper panels with the gauges up into three pieces, glued them to the back of the PE panels/bezels with Krystal Kleer and when dry, glued them to the resin IP with Krystal Kleer as well. All the gauges were picked out with Gallery Glass for the glass lenses and the IP was close to done.

The seat was a bit of a challenge as I couldn't figure out the right color for the seat back. Some research showed the cushion was either a light olive green or a green gray when rather new. I fiddled around and thought Model Air Gray Green looked pretty good. After a few hours, I masked the cushion off and air brushed the seat Tamiya Flat Black as when this flat dries, it's street tough! Flory's sand and brown washes where mixed together and applied to the seat cushion. When dry, wiped off with a damp Q-tip and then the seat cushion was sealed with Alclad Clear Semi Matt.

Lots of dry brushing to pick out the details but most won't be seen once the front office is in place. Of course, I decided to order the seatbelt/harness set late and and still not here, so I went with the kits PE set, added a few details and they look pretty good.

The Joy stick had a bit of wire added from the trigger button and that's about it.

The gun sight needs to be added as well, fix the seat harness and seat and then then the front office is done.

Next up: cleaning up the fuselage, the Big Centaurus engine and cowling.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

l1yuTD.jpg

u50200.jpg

8BVLFG.jpg

SaZsPl.jpg

The office before priming:

BoLCB6.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Oliver

Much appreciated but the shoe really is on the other foot. I learn more and more just following your magic

Peter