Prepping figures

JRutman

Great job on 'sharpening' the figure, Jerry. FYI 'mutti' is German for 'mommy/mum' 

Those Preiser figures while being crude in detail are generally very well-sculpted with excellent pose and anatomy.

Another easy improvement would be to scrape off the coat buttons and replace them with rounded bits of stretched sprue.

Cheers,

Quang

Yes,I agree,the figs are good basic figs and a nice platform for improvement. I had thought about replacing the buttons but once again,this will be a minor fig in the scene so how much time should I spend here? Dunno.  Diminishing returns ?

Und ya,aber naturlich Ich weis "Mutti" weil ich habe etwa sieben jahre in Deutschland gewohnen !! LoL

Ok fellas,sorry for the big time lag. Life keeps getting in the way.

Here is "Mutti" all painted up,although I think I will give her another coat of flat clear on her overcoat.

IMG_1340_zpstn6aufvw.jpg

IMG_1341_zpscay5pgyn.jpg

I added a few wisps of errant hair as well as a tie string made from lead wire on the box. Shoe laces came out crappy as I used stretched sprue and it wouldn't cooperate..

Now on to the daughter.

And there's the magic in action. Jerry, I'd love to see a step by step on the painting - I suspect there are a lot of techniques that go into it. I'm guessing there's some drybrushing, and layering of flesh tones to accentuate light and shadow - but no doubt so much more!

Thanks for posting.

Jim

Beautiful work, (as usual)! A question though, do you blend your shading, or just paint very thin lines of your shadow/highlight shades? I've been playing with it both ways lately, and it seems that the "straight line" method works best for fabric folds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Jerry, and please continue posting your work. I get a lot of inspiration from you old 82nd farts!

Beautiful work, (as usual)! A question though, do you blend your shading, or just paint very thin lines of your shadow/highlight shades? I've been playing with it both ways lately, and it seems that the "straight line" method works best for fabric folds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Jerry, and please continue posting your work. I get a lot of inspiration from you old 82nd farts!

Thanks for the kind words Joe,

Yes,us old paratroopers have to keep our feet and knees together,

I try to blend the shades,I really do. But I confess I am still ,after all this time,getting used to painting with acrylics so I admire greatly folks that blend them so well. I understand they use a drying retarder agent to increase the working time. I always forget to purchase that or just get impatient. I did much better with oils because well,almost anyone can do it with oils,it's so easy !  I like to call my "style" of painting  "impressionism" as you only get a vague impression of what I am trying to show.  LoL

Thanks for your interest and support buddy.

J

Started work on the teenager.  Same drill.  Undercutting and dremel tool. No additions on this one.  She is cute.

She was a bit thick in the neck though. And the jacket had a strange bulge in the waist so......mr knife took care of things.

IMG_1342_zpstzx4wvnr.jpg

IMG_1343_zpsi8lz3x9w.jpg

You can notice the lack of heels very well in that pic. They have to be cut in.

Cleaned up and neck thinned,etc. Shoes defined.  I added some putty in her middle after this pic was taken. Also the neck.

IMG_1344_zpsqli1hjta.jpg

Here she is with Mutti.

Want to see more pics?  Or just move on to the next one ?

IMG_1345_zps1fez9crv.jpg

After I painted these two I found a great site that covers fashion in Germany in the 30s and 40s. Invaluable.

J

Edited by JRutman

What's the topic going to be for these figures J? I couldn't come up with any color codes to paint these figures if I were doing this. I would be scratching my head thinking what RLM color should I be using here????? Ha.

How many more figures will there be?

There will be 30 to 40 figs I think so far.  Refugees fleeing the Red Army.