Mal Way FW190A8R2, Part: II, going for a Diorama.

Mal_Belford

Allright and welcome to the Part Two of my saga....

As ive mentioned imgoing for a Diorama on my finnished FW190A8 R2, the thread if want to read it is here

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=49300&st=0&p=545077

Alright that Kubelwagen, im going for that Tamiya 1/35 Scale, it will do just fine i think, this will be my first car, i would be happy for input on this one, what primercoat color it is on theese ones and color, off course it will be dusty dirt and chipped to, som rust and so on, make it interesting...

IMG_5401_zps04ac03cb.jpg

Allright, theese need to be cleaned from grease and residue from the casting, easier and paint will stick to it properly....

IMG_5402_zps03fb2ae2.jpg

IMG_5403_zps88236998.jpg

IMG_5404_zps2da4ed7d.jpg

Inspecting all the parts that they are flawles from casting errors, yep its a go....

71cf7240-17a7-4506-9904-a7c4b94808b0_zps

/Mal.

Yep, bought theese Balsa vaneer, the will be exelent, my Buddy ernst tipped me to use balsa, since they are great to weather, they soak very good, got som mahogny vaneer since before so it might come in handy later.

IMG_5407_zps8bc16617.jpg

Now som inspiration, and a great book about modelling, its old, its from the 80ies, but it shure still got the same principals and technics about them figures, oh yes red wine for that inspiration to...

IMG_5408_zpsccda93fb.jpg

As i said i do appriciate alot of input, tips and ideas on this one, specially on that kubelwagen, colors and so on.

Figures will be ordered later and ill reveal what figures im going for.

/Mal

Guest Peterpools

Mal

Just love vignettes and dioramas for display. Nothing better and always creates a heightened sense of drama and interest.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter...

Allright, started to build and preshade and that primer, i made my own mix of that, and i think its spot on, yep many will for shure say it suppose to be more chocolate, but hey, i will chip so that it pops out and when that weathering starts it willl be darkened ;)

IMG_5412_zps6f0b097f.jpg

IMG_5413_zpsce81d287.jpg

IMG_5418_zps87fb6831.jpg

Nect AK chipping fluid.....and then ill start thinking of that color lol...

Allright....

As i got some help with my kubelwagen and colors...Ral 7028 it is....well dont like that Tamiya FX60 also i did not have it in my stash so it doesnt matter so mixin my own...wich i many times prefer to do, mixin paint....

Tamiya Redbrown, lemon yellow and a couple of drops Olive Drab to geet that taste of just a litle bit greenish....

Allright...

Dunkelgelb-RAL-7028.gif

Pretty close hey...so this will do just fine for me...

IMG_54201_zpsf0dc8dbb.jpg

/Mal

Mal...

You're commitment to this project continues...great! The concept of "alarm" fits the aircraft you have depicted. After all, the sturmgruppen itself, both in concept and in practice, was desperate. So, to put these two components together--placing the immediacy of the moment within the context of the long term (the realization that Germany's defeat was most-likely certain)--plays well, at least in my mind.

Should I say nice start? Sure. What is nicer is to know is whatever you end up creating will be well worth both the effort and the wait.

Greg

Thanks Peter and Greg......

Greg...

Yeah i think so, Alarm is the "right" situation for this one, cause as you explained "desperate"....

Allright som things done...

That first try with chipping did not go well at all, the fact that Tamiya coat vere perfect "seal" so when ive started to scratch, i went to bare plastic, no matter how much i tried to moisten the top coat...

oh well do it all over, but this time with Vallejo top coats, and it were in fact totaly different thing....

This one is a go in chipping, wait till the weathering start, rust and dirt on this one lol....this is going to be fun for shure.

IMG_54871_zps0cab0275.jpg

/Mal

Edited by Mal_Belford

As i said i do appriciate alot of input, tips and ideas on this one, specially on that kubelwagen, colors and so on.

Figures will be ordered later and ill reveal what figures im going for.

/Mal

Ok...you asked for it...

A classic place to find copious rust/rusted through metal is at the corners of the wheel wheels (especially the back corners, where a lot of mud and water would get thrown and trapped). Any chips or damage would quickly rust...in airfield or revetment settings, these types of vehicles would see even less cleaning, service and repair than the aircraft, especially at this (desperate) time of the war. You could even "rust out" the end of the tailpipe, that is if it's visible...Any further detail along these lines would certainly serve as additional context clues: This is a critical time in Hitler's Germany...everything is crumbling, both figuratively and literally.

Super job, as always...

Greg

Big Thanks Greg..

I am very greatfull and glad for all help and input from you, Big Thanks and your knowledge is shure helping me big time.

Im looking alot of photos....

Ive seen alot of them wurgers ib a way in a way pit....with walls around to cover and protection.....

got tons of ideas and snafu lol.....

oh well obe step at the tine but stick to the orig idea.. Alarm... wich i think will be "right" for this one...

/Mal

Mal...

Yes! These "pits" (as you've probably already seen in some of your reference photos) were sometimes lined with log walls on 2-3 sides...lots of branches (both evergreen and deciduous--both stripped and with foliage still attached)...sometimes at the edge of a forest...camo-netting, etc.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Mal...

No pressure, just encouragement. I understand the need to step back at times, both in modeling and in life. If you never return to the diorama, no matter. Your build of that 190A8/R2 stands heads and shoulders above just about anything I've seen--and you gave us all a great tutorial, too!

Like I said somewhere else, you've made a big fan...When you build in the future, I'll be watching--and, if I have any expertise in your subject matter, throwing in my two cents...

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Allright.....

Things done....

Been buzy elsewhere haha....

also i had an build accident wich end up in a redone, got paint all over caise i forgott to put the cap on the AB....

Oh well, nothing serious onsteas of complaining wich wont work for me, back to work.....

Stripped everything clean, and startsed from square one....

Primer is on, home coctail of Tamiya colors....

25729mp.jpg

chipping fluid and more paint....also own coctail of tamiya colors....

20i741k.jpg

Allright camo is on to...also homebrew coctail of tamiya...

wmccyc.jpg

started to chipp.....

148kux3.jpg

more to come so stay tuned....

/Mal

Also can announce that im in to another Sturm paralell.....

Using a Hasegawa kit.....

this one is Flown by Unteroffizier Werner Conradt, II.(Sturm)/JG 300. 8.Staffel.

i really like this camo and the number 1 that pops out...

1zwdn50.jpg

That rack is done....had to scratch some cause the models were damaged...

do45tj.jpg

Armour.....

2nk6pw4.jpg

qrcaw4.jpg

So now you guys know what ive been doing lol.....