1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

WOW :) thank you guys - such kind words and from so many of you - I am thrilled to bits  :)

please forgive me if I don't respond to each, I read every one and they all mean something to me I can assure you of that

..I have been a bit quieter lately as life and work have got in the way a bit, and in 2 weeks I am off to Miami for 3 weeks so trying to get as much done as I can..

The first major step was assembling the cockpit pod and breaking it out of it's supporting frame - I can tell you I hold my breath every time I touch it as if anything pops off inside I am doomed..

WIP1219_zpsqmevjqqe.jpg

..also the bit I was most worried about was fitting it into the airframe - if it didn't fit I either build a new cockpit or a new Spitfire..

..thankfully with a bit of fettling it slots in neatly :)

WIP1218_zpsiejpxmca.jpg

WIP1217_zpslz4rhtua.jpg

..the bottom floor needs doing next so it really is complete and I can fit it, so I rolled a sheet of cheap litho (it's going to be painted so not the good stuff) into a shape and worked it until it loosely fitted..

WIP1220_zpsc1lintdi.jpg

..then while it was taped in place I built a holding jig around it to keep everything from flexing - the trouble with using litho in this way is if you flex it, anything CA'd to it just pops off so this is essential...

WIP1221_zpsttxxsyag.jpg

..and you can just see the floor through the assembled 'pit - so now have to figure out how to detail it and still be able to slide this into place - even marking where the bulkheads are is impossible as I can't get inside with anything to do that..

WIP1222_zpskgc00ci8.jpg

..still loving making this model - even if it is getting like a ship in a bottle working on the cockpit..

thats it for now, back soon

TTFN
Peter

Ok, I have followed this thread long enough...

Once a source of wonder, now it serves as a constant reminder of my own inadequacies and relative incompetence.  So instead of praising your efforts, I am going to subtly start to undermine them.....so I can begin to shore up whatever is left of my sagging self esteem.

:hmmm: Your cockpit is the wrong color.....and your instruments look dumb.

Edited by Bryan

Sometimes I feel it's necessary to remind myself that what I am looking at is scratch built, but then again, what kit do you know of that looks that amazing out of the box!

Congratulations on a very nerve wracking separation of the sidewall from the jig Peter. I can appreciate the relief you must've had once it was all clear!

What's the difference between your "fancy" litho and your "cheap" litho? Is it a malleability thing?

Spectacular as always Sir!

Craig