Revell Bf-109 G10 Erla - Green 7

Nic C.D.

I picked up Revell's G-10 a couple of weeks ago and wanted to try some colours on it. I was very impressed by the cockpit of this kit, looks really great. I'm building it completely out of the box. 

I chose for one of the markings provided by Revell, with that difference that I make it 'Green 7' instead of 'Yellow 7' and that a quarter of the spinner is white. The colours are green-brown, the same as those that I saw on colour photo of a late war belly-landed 109. Knowing that colours of late war 109's can be a hot topic, please be kind...

I'm far from finished, but it is a fun kit to build and paint, and I wanted to share:

Foto-RFH767VO-D.jpg

As you can so, so far it's still 'White 7'; 'Green 7' has a white outline. In the next step, I will paint the green one on top of the white one. Next will be the balkenkreuz on fuselage and wings. 

The few decals are stenceling and the wnr. 

Foto-W8JG4SZJ-D.jpg

The colour of the spinner runs on the nose of the fuselage; it makes the fuselage look a bit shorter, but the photos of this aircraft show it very clearly. I have to do more exhaust stains, that's for the final stage of the build. The landing gear is a little complex to build, but it turns out good. It broke 3 times during construction, but that's just because I'm clumsy...

Foto-3DS8FKNJ-D.jpg

I experimented with a new airbrush - I still used my old badger 150 - and I have to say: this thing is fantastic! The finess of it is impressive, I experimented with pre- and post-shading, different shades of green, grey and brown. 

Foto-7O4D7W7P-D.jpg

With the large areas painted, I'll start painting the details pretty soon. I hope I don't mess it up now. I like the moveable flaps of the kit. Gives it a dynamic look.

Foto-LX3VQ4HZ-D.jpg

The Wnr. is placed on the tail and the rudder, so you have to cut the decal. Still needs some drybrushing, wash and chipping. 

I hope you like her so far! 

Nic

That's looking great! Doing the research for the Barracuda Decals sets I couldn't find anything that proved what colors were used. I opted for greens because of the low contrast between colors but no one can be certain about that. With the quality of your paintwork it's looking very believable to me!

Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

I fully agree with the green number btw.

Thanks Boris, glad you like it. It's like Cpt_Farrel says, colours are never sure (and chances are that once a my friend Kees takes a look at this, I'll be building another one in different colours for him) but it sure is fun to build! And when the Trumpeter G10 will arrive in the next few weeks, I hope to build one too. There are a couple of nice nightfighters I have in mind. Not to say anything about the K-4 after that!

Cpt, I found a photo with a partly destroyed Erla G10 that is a lot like this one: very dark camouflage, wnr. on the tail, triple fuselage band. In that photo you see the top of the right wing with two dark colours for camouflage. It was the inspiration for this kit. Nice to know you are working on decals; I look forward to them!

Nic 

Nic, I think I know which photo you mean. I think you got the pattern right for sure. Is it Kees Mol that is your friend? He's a good researcher!

The decals from Barracuda will be released any day now, including decals for Green 7 but off course, you can't beat sprayed on markings!

/Anders

Hi guys ! Thanks for the feedback! Here's a little progress. After some masking with Tamiya tape the balkenkreuz are on and she's finally a 'Green' 7. Next will be the other details and the landing gear. I also have to repaint the red parts on the wings. They shouldn't be red, an expert whispered me... (thanks Kees). 

Here's what she looks like: 

Foto-BSTZTUJF-D.jpg

a close-up of the wing:

Foto-FZWH66YI-D.jpg

The kit is still too shiny, but some varnish will take care of that !

Foto-BIJAYPQM-D.jpg

I've learned a lot about the kit "109" is building, like the fact that the aft part of the cockpit is flush with the fuselage. I'm doing this one OOB, and it's way too late to change that now, but the next one I'll do, I'll modify that!

And yes, Anders, it's the same! I could tell you what a nice guy he is, but knowing he visits this forum sometimes, I'm not going to do that ! But he is!

This last photo is the idea for a little set-up of this kit. Here's a soldier standing next to the aircraft with a "Look what I found" smile on his face...

Foto-M6IJAUOK-D.jpg

So, on to the details now. Thanks for watching !

Nic