1/32nd F-8E Crusader Project

Impatient Pete

Well, you guys doin' the big scratch projects got me back on this project after a few years hiatus. That and for a model making class at school, we had to spray polyester primer, which happened to be the next step on this project. So I dug it out and I'm working on it as school allows. Yesterday I spent almost the whole day making the nose gear. Thanks for the inspiration on that Saso!

Here are some pics.

post-4-1110765801.jpg

Here it is assembled. I still have to make the piston and the linkage from the lower section to the piston. Then of course, the wheel. I want to thank Saso again for posting the pics of his Gnat project to inspire me.

Thanks for the nice words guys. Hopefully if I keep posting pics and you guys keep strokin' my ego, I'll keep at it until it's done. Since I've gone back to school (I'm 33) I haven't had much time to model. HAHA!

post-4-1110766212.jpg

Last one for today. Sorry if the text doesn't seem to make alot of sense. I am basicaly just copying the stuff over from ARC. It's been over there for about a week now, so some of my posts are responses to other people.

Hi Guys,

Well here is a (hopefully) weekly update on the Crusader project. I wrapped up midterm prep and was able to spend a couple of hours working on the nose wheel. I used a main wheel from a 1/48th Accurate Miniatures TBM. I chucked it up in the dremel and thinned it down a bit and added the rim. Then I stretch formed a new hub and glued it into the depression in the center. Then I put it back in the dremel and faired the rim into the hub insert. Grandt Line provided the bolt heads (which I think are a little oversized, but I will learn to live again). I would show it to you with the rest of the pices, but one of them is swimming in a silicone bath right now. Maybe next week.

post-4-1110766377.jpg

OK, here is a pic of the parts arranged in their positions. The piston and link will have to wait 'til next weekend. Also, the arm that the wheel mounts to is a different one from the one I intend to use. It's an earlier reject. That's all 'til next weeken. Maybe I'll have the Mains done next week! OOOOoooooohhhhh... I can't wait!

Oh, and I want to say a great big thanks to Saso Knez for giving me the inspiration to tackle the landing gear. His Gnat project pics and wheel tutorial got me to take a crack at it. There is alot of little stuff I can do while I work out the fuselage stuff, and the gear are a natural short duration, mini-project.

Thanks Saso, and let's see more pics!

post-4-1110766478.jpg

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the compliments. On ARC, go to the topic group something like "Critiques, in progress builds, and Todays Birds". Go to "In Progress Builds" then go to "My 1/32 Crusader, it may be back a few pages. It's the same stuff as here though.

Thanks,

Pete