1/32 HobbyCraft F4F-4 Wildcat

Adrian A.

Thanks for the comments.

Jimbo - the problem I had with Masks was mainly with the fit. As I said earlier, it may have been me but...

The masks were made for the Trumpeter Kit, but the HobbyCraft kit is the same kit - some of the sprues even have Trumpeter on them. I used the Eduard Express Mask # XL 048.

I found that the fit on the windshield was not very good & the coverage was inadaquite if your going to use an air brush. I had to use EZ mask liquid to fill in the gaps. :lol:

Also, the canopy parts had two pieces that just would not fit, I had to end up cutting them. The coverage was much better on the canopy than on the windshield.

I found the adhesion pretty good, but make sure you burnish the edges down with a toothpick or something - I did have a 'oops' or two on mine. B)

A positive word on them - they come off easily, even after 6-7 months!! I had set the plane aside while doing my house remodeling & the time just flew by. I can't say the same about the EZ Mask tho :huh: :huh:

Adrian A.

One thing I noticed unless it is the bad light in the photo is the finish which is a bit rough. if I've seen right, you could easily fix this by sanding the plane with wet 1200 paper and respraying the finish. Otherwise looks ok to me.

Hi Guy's,

A couple of update pics tonight.

Brian - you were right on the finish, it was a little rough. I was unhappy with both the finish & the color itself.

I've spent the last two days sanding & repainting. The Wildcat's folding wings makes a complete topside sanding a real pain B) Things just seemed to want to break off :angry:

Anyway, I decided to go with the more correct (?) 'Intermediate Blue' designated on the instruction sheet.

This is the result after several days of sanding, masking, painting & praying. B)

The first pic is of the 'cat after the sanding & masking job. I went with the 600, 1200 & 2000 grit routine. It came out really smooth!!

Adrian A.

post-177-1156213376_thumb.jpg

The next pic is of the completed repaint of the new intermediate blue color.

Ive taken 30-40 pics tonight trying to play with the angles & lighting, but haven't had a lot of success. I guess the old digital camera just needs to be replaced.

Adrian A

post-177-1156213601_thumb.jpg

I went by the LHS Saturday looking for an acrylic replacement paint. He didn't have any acrylics but did have enamels in Model Master 1/2 oz. liquid & 3 oz. rattle cans. They fit the bill so I bought one of each.

This next pic is of the Wildcat with her new paint & all the masking off.

I still have a few areas to touchup, but the finish is looking much better. And, The color is more correct than the previous color.

Adrian A.

post-177-1156214371_thumb.jpg

The next pic is a little closeup of the cockpit area.

I'm working on getting the lighting & focus better.

You can easily see the area around the cockpit that I'll need to touchup.

Adrian A.

post-177-1156214544_thumb.jpg

Last pic for tonight is of the cowl.

Sorry for the pic being a little blurry!!

I'm hoping to get to giving the Wildcat a coat of future tomorrow, then I'll start a little weathering & chipping.

Thanks for looking - any & all comments welcomed!

Adrian A.

post-177-1156214861_thumb.jpg

Adrian,

Nice looking aeroplane, isn't it? Your repaint using the new (more correct) colour appears to have worked really well. with a very nice finish achieved to boot! (the original blue looked to be much too bright). I am glad that you have soldiered on, it looks like your efforts have paid off handsomely. I look forward to seeing it complete with markings...I'm sure that it will look quite stunning, well done.

Derek

Many thanks for the kind words guy's, it's appreciated.

I've got to admit brian, when you advised me about the rough paint, I kinda cringed. I mean I KNEW it should be redone (& I knew you were right about it), but didn't really think I could pull it off enough for it to work. Apparently, it worked! Thanks!! B)

smithery - I'm anticipating the weathering job!! I'm letting my touchups cure until tomorrow, then I'll put a couple of light coats of Future on it. Hopefully, I'll have it weathered for the weekend. The it's time for the rest of the little pieces & I haven't started on the drop tanks yet :lol:

Derek - I like the Wildcat - it's a stubby little brute that held the line when the U.S. teetered on the brink. & I really like the kit itself - it's one of the best kits I've done (of course that ain't saying much! :ph34r: )

Of course, I can't wait to get to the markings, it's always the best part - the finish line is in sight when I get to that point!!

I really appreciate the comments guy's!

The first pic tonight is of the completed touchups. I had to repaint the canopy frames by hand - that was a little nerve-wracking but it came out OK. I'll try for a better shot of it tomorrow after I get some fresh battery's for the camera - it died on me tonight in mid photo shoot.

post-177-1156301010_thumb.jpg

This shot is more from the side.

What you can't see from the photo is the effect of the aluminum sprayed first on the canopy frames. It gives the impression of metal frames.

Unfortunately, I think the internal frames of the 'cat were zinc chromate - I think that it will be just a little more nerve-wracking than the outer frames - I just hope I don't pooch it! :lol:

As always - any & all comments welcomed!!

Adrian A.

post-177-1156301466_thumb.jpg

I'm really pleased with the way the final wash on the engine came out - as LSP Chris said when I first posted the engine (last year??) 'all it needs is a sludgy oil wash'.

Well Chris, of course you were right - I just wish the photos would come out a little better!

I'll be touching up the firewall in the next day or so also - it's still looking a little rough.

Adrian A.