Chek

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:10 AM

Sorry for the thread creep....

Tony

Thread creep be damned!

As I'm currently musing an F-4D iteration to while away the time until HKM comes up with the goods, I'm looking into USAFE units which featured heavily in the monthly UK aviation and model mags back in the '70s. Although it didn't last long, there were some with the dual colour stencils.

20450660018_39f4931ec5_b.jpg

I think a decal sheet with USAFE white codes and unit badges may have been one of the first 1/48th sheets I ever bought across the counter (ModelMark at Plashet Grove E14?). I still have a couple of fragments, but not one with the producer's name on it. Wish I'd had the foresight to get the 1/32 sheet at the time, around when Revell's first big F-4E was released and Ted Taylor's UK tail coded build in Scale Models was the ultimate in plastic modelling to aspire to.

• Luca and Tony T like this

#167 Guest_Airfixer_*

Guest_Airfixer_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:12 AM

[...]

I'm in for a K with the Jubilee or 78 radome sash, *regular* FAA Omega tail markings, ROYAL NAVY titles and proper, undoctored roundels. The whacky cross-decking finishes are more suited to 1/72 where you make 4-5 kits and have one whacky diversion.

Tony

I couldn't have said it any better...

TPnQhjv.jpg

• Luca and Tony T like this

#168 Chek

Chek

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:38 AM

... although there are some options that don't require that overly flashy keeping-up-with-the-US Navy- Joneses 892 Sqn scheme.

There's always the simple elegance of Extra Dark Sea Grey and white

p82362136-3.jpg

or Omegas without all the red overkill (POCU - Phantom Operational Conversion Unit. Note no dorsal ROYAL NAVY banner and RAF style black serial number).

92449_1494271361.jpg

Edited by Chek, 30 March 2018 - 04:41 AM.

#169 Guest_Airfixer_*

Guest_Airfixer_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:22 AM

First and foremost, we need the kit...

My hope is that overall progress will only be delayed by the recent events. (knocking on wood)

The Spey-powered Phantom is quite undisputedly at the top of my personal bucket list.

In the meantime, I've got plenty of "black projects" (e.g. MiG-23P, MiG-29OVT CAD/moulds) to fill time and see how things will evolve.

#170 mgbgtv8steve

mgbgtv8steve

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

We must all have patience while we wait for, what I think , will be a gorgeous rendering of the Spey engined 'Room!!! (but Neil, if you could speed it up a little, I'd be very grateful!!)

Regards,

Steve S.

#171 Gerhard

Gerhard

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

I want to build the Grey and red scheme... someday when I graduate to jets.

#172 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

Thread creep be damned!

As I'm currently musing an F-4D iteration to while away the time until HKM comes up with the goods, I'm looking into USAFE units which featured heavily in the monthly UK aviation and model mags back in the '70s. Although it didn't last long, there were some with the dual colour stencils.

I think a decal sheet with USAFE white codes and unit badges may have been one of the first 1/48th sheets I ever bought across the counter (ModelMark at Plashet Grove E14?). I still have a couple of fragments, but not one with the producer's name on it. Wish I'd had the foresight to get the 1/32 sheet at the time, around when Revell's first big F-4E was released and Ted Taylor's UK tail coded build in Scale Models was the ultimate in plastic modelling to aspire to.

I think it was Aerodecal and I may still have most of two or three 1/32 sets, but imagine they would fragment into a zillion bits of cracked ink as soon as they're immersed in water. The sheets feature jets from Alconbury, Hahn, Soesterberg etc.
Dutch decal feature a Soesterberg E on one of its sheets.

The hybrid stencil birds in USAFE must have gone through Ogden rather a local depot centre, and were not the norm. I have always wanted to do RF-4C 68-555 Triple Nickel when based at RAF Alconbury ca.1976-79 (as it started its career, just up the road from where I lived, at Upper Heyford in March 1969) - though that was without the sprinkling of snow.

I prefer the Omegas with the red tail. Believe it or not, the US Navy tail etc colours followed regulations. I can't remember exactly, but FITRONs had red and yellow, ATKRONS green, blue and orange, and so on. It wasn't just for esprit or morale: it signified ownership of pylons, drop tanks, bomb racks, spares etc. which is why so many items were tipped in colour with the unit number stencilled on.

Tony
  • Chek likes this
Finally spraying again

#173 NigeW

NigeW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

Spring 75, Goose Bay Canada.  A pair transiting to Roosevelt Roads to join the Ark, accompanied by a Victor K1 tanker.  When they departed the following (very hot) day the Victor used up so much of the runway before lifting off that the fire trucks were rolling.

27243424038_e6e81b7aed_k.jpgRN_F4 by Nigel Warwick, on Flickr

• Luca, Chek, Tony T and 1 other like this

#174 Chek

Chek

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

When they departed the following (very hot) day the Victor used up so much of the runway before lifting off that the fire trucks were rolling.

As I  understand it, the curvature of the Earth decreases towards the poles...   :hmmm:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users