A pair of Tamiya Spitfires: VII and XVI

I had started both of these Spitfire builds at the same time. The VII was part of a double build with a Tamiya VIII. The XVI was an entry in the Keep it Civil GB. I out them aside while waiting for some custom masks for the roundels. I received the paint masks this past Friday so I thought I'd get them done and off the bench.

20170812_224144-L.jpg

One other hold up was that I had misplaced both tail wheels after painting them. I found those in the spares box thankfully.

Here are the masks with alignment marks drawn on them.

20170812_231038-L.jpg

For the XVI, I used the same red as on the the stripes. The VII used the more typical roundel red and blue.

20170813_132512-L.jpg

20170813_153600-L.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Thanks Brian! I'm really surprised at the change in the look of the XVI after I got the roundels done.

The contrasting look between the obviously different blues and reds on the roundels is really noticeable, and unique looking per the aircraft its on; matt and dull for a combat ship, and bright and colorful for the post combat  machine.   Looks great! 

The contrasting look between the obviously different blues and reds on the roundels is really noticeable, and unique looking per the aircraft its on; matt and dull for a combat ship, and bright and colorful for the post combat machine. Looks great!

Very true Brian. I'll be leaving it free of stencils too. Just the pertinent registration codes.

I went hunting for the missing pair of exhausts on the port side. No luck so I dug thru my spares literally to find some.

20170814_161753-L.jpg

Tamiya really gives you a bunch of extra parts with their Spitfire kits.

I ended up finding some exhausts so those were attached and then I finished the decals on TD248.

20170814_131401-L.jpg

20170814_131351-L.jpg

20170814_131416-L.jpg