Scratchbuilders 1/32 Staggerwing

Gene

On the shelf-of-doom for seven years - it is about time that I pay some attention to it!!

If possible Kevin, the old link is: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=31208&hl=staggerwing

I've merged your two topics, Gene, so now they both form part of this thread. The old link will no longer work.

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Gene

Fantastic!  Nothing more beautiful then a Stagggering and the D17S with it's 450 ponies is music to my ears. Will be glued to my chair and with you all the way

Peter

With my initial post to get this restart going – one wise LSP'er queried if the wingspan was to scale.  I did recall during my previous work that the rib count was short but didn't recall about the wingspan.  Sure enough, the SCR model measures (in scale) 31'3'' upper & 31'4†lower – D17 wingspans should both be 32'0â€.  Using the reference drawings in ‘The Staggerwing Story' by Edward H Phillips (ISBN: 0-911139-27-3 pbk), the need for several adjustments are indicated.  In the SCR wing, each half contains 18 ribs – the actual count should be 25 ribs.  This closer spacing would also help negate the deep sag between ribs that occur on the kit.  Actual aircraft manage to achieve a nearly flat appearance between ribs – thus will be my goal!

SsLFIJ.jpg

FU3auS.jpg

VngccO.jpg

TukDne.jpg

Well Thomas, after digging into the problem more there was an explosion of worms!  I decided to sand off all the existing ribs, add Milliput to the trailing edge and wingtip to satisfy the overall dimensions, then add the correct number of ribs in a more subtle detail.  There is also a considerable area of the wing covered with a wood veneer resulting in a very smooth surface.  Now, to work - it will be awhile before the next update. You might need buckets of popcorn william!