Spitfire MkXVI, SL721

Dpgsbody55

Update time.  All the cockpit components were airbrushed in Model Master RAF interior green.  Next up, I started on the instrument panel and rudder pedals, adding a little photo etch stuff.

LK51u6.jpg

After a lot more hours of work, here's the control column, completed rudder pedal assembly, and completed instrument panel.  Some Eduard photo etch has been used to spice things up.  Of note is the compass holder and fuel control lever, and also the cabling on the control column.  I've also added some drops of clear to the instrument faces.

OQuAIx.jpg

Here's the whole lot stuck together.

OQJzFa.jpg

SAgpeH.jpg

I have yet to attach the gun sight, and I'm not yet sure if I will at all.  On the this particular plane, being the personal plane of Air Marshall Robb, the guns were removed and the space left was converted into luggage space, so it may follow that the gunsight was also removed.  This picture certainly backs up that opinion.  I'd welcome any discussion on that.

SL72134.jpg

Lastly, here's that assembly set in the "floor".

62t5VQ.jpg

sNWGWm.jpg

The instructions to the kit would now have me assembling the pilot's seat, but I've decided to order a resin seat which has yet to arrive, so I can't do that.  In the meantime, I'll press on with the side panels.  More on that later.  The only sour note so far is my inability to deal with some of the smaller photo etch bits.  Some of these are almost microscopic, so I'll be doing the best I can with them, and if I can't deal with them, we'll put that down to my aging eyes :oops: :doh: :lol:.

Cheers, and a merry Christmas to all.

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

You picked a great subject on this one. Cockpits looking tidy with all that extra effort, can't wait to see it all together. btw I'm with you on that pe thing...I think they should put in 2 of anything that is bound to fly from the tweezers and get lost in the carpet monster.

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.  I'm pleased with the results so far, and I have top say that everything I've read about these Tamiya kits being well engineered is definitely true.  Every part so far just fits as it should.  I'm presently working on the side panels and in particular the port side as I'm trying to keep my attention focused on one area at a time.  I spent 2 hours on it last night and hardly fitted a thing, yet somehow it looks better.

@themongoose, I've solved the carpet monster problem by putting some clear plastic mat over the carpet.  The problem I find is that some parts are way to small for tweezers, and I'm not really sure they're worth the effort.  I sometimes use a toothpick with a little bluetack on the end to place the part.  So my new mantra with these things is if that doesn't help apply the part, it's too small to be seen so it's not worth it.

Cheers, and a merry Christmas,

Michael

Michael, this is exactly the same kit and scheme I am trying to replicate, I will be most interested in what overall color you chose for this, I am wanting to follow along with this build , and I hope you don't mind , but I will use your work for my inspiration and ideas..... I am REALLY liking what I see so far, and if I can come close that would be wonderful...... looking forward to the next installment.

Jeff

Michael, I would say the gun sight is definitely not installed, and I expect that you know this aircraft is with Vintage Wings here in Canada, there are some good photos here...

http://www.vintagewings.ca/Home/tabid/40/language/en-CA/Default.aspx

Click on the 'aircraft' tab and scroll till you find the Spitfire, and have a good scan of the pics, there are some good close ones, then and now..

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks for the link Jeff.  I have no problem with my build being used for inspiration.  That's what this forum is for.

It looks to me as if the aircraft presently has a reflector gunsight installed, which is incorrect for SL721 which should have had a gyroscopic sight installed.  The wartime shots aren't very clear, but they're also not applicable to this particular plane, as that plane was TB886.  SL721 has been painted by it's present owner to represent a plane (AU-J, TB886) previously flown by 421 Squadron RCAF.  TB886 was originally delivered to 33 Maintenance Unit on 15-3-45, then went to 421 Sqdn RCAF on 19-4-45.  It later went to the Royal Hellenic Air Force on 27-7-49, and is presumed written off.

SL721 was originally delivered to 6 MU 27-8-45, then Fighter Command Communications Squadron on 10-10-46, then to Vickers Armstrong South Marston 29-10-46 where it was nominally attached to the Meteoroligical flight, for use by AM Sir James Robb, until being delivered back to VASM on 17-7-48 where it was given a "special finish" and the gun bays were removed and converted to luggage compartments.  Delivered back to FCCS on 17-12-48, but came back to VASM in February 1949 and repainted again, with further modifications.  Returned nominally to the care of 31 Sqdn 11-4-49 for use again by AM Sir James Robb, now AOC Fighter Command until put into storage 4-8-51 when he retired.  It was declared non effective scrap on 13-12-54 and sold to F Wilensk 11-2-55 and soon after became promotional vehicle for garage owner Michael Willcox, then it became "the Rose Garden Spitfire" at Beaulieu Motor Museum in the New Forrest area in England.  In 1966 it was sold and went to the USA, registered N8R.  Later on, it came back to England as G-BAUP, then  went back to the USA as N8WK, where it was given Battle of Britain camouflage with the letters JM-R as squadron codes.  In 1977, it was sold to Woodson K Woods and given the squadron codes WK-W, then in 1991 his son Chris restored it to the way it was in 1948/49 when flown by Air Marshall Sir James Robb.  In 2000, it was sold to Michael Potter in Ottawa and subsequently it was repainted as TB886, AU-J of 421 squadron RCAF as flown by Flt LT. William Harper.  As flown by Harper, TB886 was named Dorothy II, but the owner decided to paint SL721 with the squadron logo of an Indian head.  TB886 was the first low back Spitfire to fly with 421 Sqdn, but never received the squadron logo.  TB886 was used on operations during the final weeks of WW2, whereas SL721 was built after the war in Europe had finished.

I now believe that the "special finish" applied to SL721 was something a little darker than RAF Azzure blue, but it was definitely not PRU blue, although it was painted in Scheme D PRU light blue later, probably February 1949.  As painted by Chris Woods, it appears to be a blue very close to RAF Azzure, and the spinner is painted white/dark blue, which may be an attempt to recreate the plane as it was between 17-7-48 and February 1949.  What photos I can find of it in this period do not appear to show a gunsight being fitted at this time, so I'm still thinking I will leave this part out.  The white/dark blue spinner was also not applied to SL721 when in RAF service.

However, I'm still researching, so the final result of this build may be a little different to my present thinking.

Cheers,

Michael

I'm thinking that Michael Potter may have had  a gun sight re-installed for some sort of basic accuracy, for it's current livery..... ? possibly?... but I did  notice or I think I noticed, no gun sight in the original JMR pics.................... didn't I?

I can't find any pictures of this plane from those years which give any indication that a gunsight was fitted, so I've decided to leave it out.  Fitting one for it's current day livery would be entirely in the spirit of what the owner is trying to recreate, but if that Spitfire was mine, I'd be restoring it to the way it was during it's service years.  Not that I'm ever likely to own a real Spitfire, of course.  I can dream...  :piliot: :whistle:

As for the build, it's progressing, and I've finished the left side of the cockpit, and I'm presently working on the right side.  Still waiting for the resin seat to arrive, so I hope that happens soon as it may cause a hold up if not.  I hope to post some pictures in a few days.

Cheers,

Michael

I can't find any pictures of this plane from those years which give any indication that a gunsight was fitted, so I've decided to leave it out.  Fitting one for it's current day livery would be entirely in the spirit of what the owner is trying to recreate, but if that Spitfire was mine, I'd be restoring it to the way it was during it's service years.  Not that I'm ever likely to own a real Spitfire, of course.  I can dream...  :piliot: :whistle:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1963-Triumph-Spitfire-MARK-1-Red-Manual-M-Convertible/172936381698?hash=item2843cfc502:g:vPcAAOSwPAxZ6o4s

:whistle:

Richard