WNW SE-5a

LSP_Ron

This build will be something completely new to me. a WW1 bip. These seem to be a whole new deal in techniques, rigging, different assembly order, natural wood... oh yes, learning how to do major areas of natural wood. I've done small bits using the artist oil paint method but not whole interiors etc. I started with a little experimenting on some Spit slipper tanks. I think I need some more practice before going to the kit itself....

P5150001.jpg

P5150002.jpg

One thing I found out after the fact is that Russ was actually in contact with Peter Jackson in the weeks before his death. Not sure about what but it certainly would've been something to do with WnW. Kinda adds some more significance to doing a Wingnuts kit for this GB....

One thing I found out after the fact is that Russ was actually in contact with Peter Jackson in the weeks before his death. Not sure about what but it certainly would've been something to do with WnW. Kinda adds some more significance to doing a Wingnuts kit for this GB....

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for those chats !!!

This will be an interesting build. I like the idea of building one of the WNW kits so I'll follow along and pick up some pointers if I may?

I'm sure you'll crack the wood effect Ron.

Good luck with this build. :speak_cool:

:goodjob:

Thanks all, I will be starting it tonight.

Dave, I had no idea that a WNW kit was so fitting. Glad I chose it :D

This will be an interesting build. I like the idea of building one of the WNW kits so I'll follow along and pick up some pointers if I may?

I'm sure you'll crack the wood effect Ron.

Good luck with this build. :D

:D

Please do but I am not sure how many pointers I'll have to offer. This is all new to me....

Bold man! I am petrified of the wiring required to do these kits justice. I can't wait to see what you make of it.

Well its a first for me also, hopefully ignorance is bliss and all will go fine.

Rigging is one thing I wish was included in the kit but its not. The instruction format takes a little getting used to but they are extremely well done in fact I think they set precedence on how instructions should be done.

Well I've managed to start some wood work. Big Matt was kind enough to scan and e-mail me a few "how to" articles which were very helpful. Thanks Matt!

I decided on the oil method. I sprayed the parts a light yellow brown and started at it. So far I think it's turning out ok. It's tedious work and will take days to finish because it's slow drying. It also doesn't help that I miss parts and have to start fresh with these which holds things up. Some of these parts have been drying two days and still smear a little if handled. This build will be a slow go but I am enjoying it so far.

Cheers

P5200001.jpg

P5200002.jpg

P5200003.jpg

Looks like wood to me Ron! Now ya better keep those termites away from the workbench while your doing that.. The parts look real enough they may have to take a bite to find out :wacko:

Keep at it, I know you're going to have yet another incredible model to display when its done.

All the best,

Paul

:angry2:

Well I've managed to start some wood work. Big Matt was kind enough to scan and e-mail me a few "how to" articles which were very helpful. Thanks Matt!

I decided on the oil method. I sprayed the parts a light yellow brown and started at it. So far I think it's turning out ok. It's tedious work and will take days to finish because it's slow drying. It also doesn't help that I miss parts and have to start fresh with these which holds things up. Some of these parts have been drying two days and still smear a little if handled. This build will be a slow go but I am enjoying it so far.

Cheers

P5200001.jpg

P5200002.jpg

P5200003.jpg

Thanks,

I managed to get most of the interior wood completed now. I also started the engine. This is nice kit although the plastic is very brittle. I recall reading that somewhere also.

I'll have to scratch most of the the pipes on the engine, I've broken them trying to cut them off the sprues. They just snap, no matter how sharp the knife is or how gentle you attempt to cut. I also broke the rudder peddles with my thumb just picking up the tree it was attached to. That's how brittle it is. The peddles are fixed though

I'll post some pics in a bit

Hi Ron,

Nce work on the wood. Perhaps one of the most appealing things about these older stringbags is the numerous materials that they were constructed from. It gives the modeller a chance to experiment and flex those modelling muscles a bit. :lol:

Interesting comments regarding the brittle plastic. Thanks for the heads-up. I don't own any of these kits yet but it's nice to know what to look out for if I ever do take the plunge.

Keep at it, you're doing great. :bow:

:huh: