Trumpeter F4U-4 Corsair

dutik

And on the "sagging" wing problem: isn't it possible to have a reinforcement going thru the fuselage and both initial wing sections up to (and maybe including) the folding point?

That is how i solved my wing problem with the Combat Tigercat (well you had to do that anyhow because of the very weak styrene parts, but that's another story)

just my 2 P's

J.

I built the bottom wing as one piece. I placed in the wing fold bracing and glued it to the wing in the proper positions. I then filled the gap between inner and outer braces with magic scult. This worked to prevent the sag. The other effect...it gave me a hard surface in order to rescibe the fold after I sanded everything flush.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1246

One wheelbay glued in place:

corsair0003ituih.jpg

Here and there some putty, still curing. Also aded the first details (the horizontal white bar). Outer wall will get ribs soon.

The other one is sanded. Due to the practice with the first one it was much, much faster ready. Even while I snapped off the front half while removing the pour stubs and the roof of the larger half too and had to repair this. Still have to dryfit and remove some resin here and there as well as to build up the kts outer wing spar.

Enjoy!

- dutik

I have a nasty cold, so work slowed somewhat, but I got the other UC bay installed and started to glue the upper wing halfes. Masterplan: Glue them at the rear, let them fully cure, then snap them over the UC bays and fix them in place. Also glued one outer wing together. Blocked the openings. Fittet some styrene behind the openings of the ammo hatches and added some more strip styrene as appropriate to get the paneels flush with the wing surface. Worked like a charm. Pic:

corsair0002p3xzj.jpg

- dutik

I take my time to add the upper wing parts, so no photo update today. While the rear seam glued yesterday has cured now, I glued the front parts today. The outer part in the morning, the inner at the evening. The whole thing is still fixed with tapes and set aside to cure overnight. Don't want to see anything popping off after completion of the build...

Meanwhile I started with the cockpit using Eduards interior PE set 32124. Well, Eduard wants you to add another floor 4 mm above the kit part... Odd thing. Is the pit really to deep? I dont't know, and the depth of pits is difficult to determine by looking at walkaround images. But at the other hand there are in fact kits which have too deep pits. Revells Phantom and Special Hobbies Buckeye come to mind. I checked with a scale pilot. Har, har, from a Zero kit :wicked: He seems to ride to low with the original floor/seat combination, barely able to see over the dashboard. With the new floor everything looked nice. The new floor also meets the lower end of Trumpeters sidewall ribs/spants/whatsoever, while Trumpies own floor doesn't. OK to me. So I've added the PE floor as requested by Eduard.

More to come

- dutik

p.s. And we all know what bad Karma happens if someone - visitor or judge - tries to stick anything into one of our models... :coolio:

Nice Job So Far Dutik my friend! Don't forget the forward gear doors and forward landing gear bay areas they close up into are incorrectly shaped. No biggie to fix it, just take your time and its easy.

Looking forward to more progress,

Paul 

I think I got it: The doors are of the wrong shape and so are the cutouts too...

I will take care of this. Still have to perform some minor surgery around the wheelbay openings because I misaligned at least one resin part somewhat.

For the depth of the cockpit I had a look at images of the "130" in NZ markings. Looks really shallow, so Eduard may be correct with their PE floor part.

- dutik

Guest Peterpools

dutik

Nice start on the wheel bays and wings. Go slow and enjoy .... My Corsair was the best kit/experience i've had so far in the hobby

Hope you are stating to feel better

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Guest Clunkmeister

Dutik, you're a better man than I am, sir!  I'd run fast and far from it if someone tried to give me those Aries wheel wells to install.  I'm going to scrape mine smooth, reapply all lost detail and modify the shape as needed.  It's bad enough to have to do that for poor mold design, but in my opinion, it's better than sanding the whole thing to within an inch of it's life to get it to fit. Ugh!