Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair finished 5/14/15

Daywalker

Guest Peterpools

Frank

Nice to see you working on the Corsair again - one gorgeous front office for sure. Glad you went your own way on color mixes, as the tailwheel interior looks the color after the elements started to bleach it out.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you everyone, MUCH appreciated!  Sure feels good to be building again, and what a treat this kit is.  I can see how each of these Tamiya kits gets better and better with each new release!

Great progress on the cockpit. So did you decide yo build two at once, or one at a time?

How did you do the paint scratches on the seat?

Hopefully I'll get the chance to work on my copy of the kit soon.

Carl

This looks great Frank. How did you do the scratches on the seat?  Looks very accurate.

Can't wait to see more. This Corsair kit looks like an amazing piece of molding.

Matt  :frantic:

On the seat, I first painted it with Alclad aluminum, then sealed it with a semi-matte coat to protect the finish.  A thin layer of hairspray, then the Tamiya paint green color coat.  Immediately after painting, I took a brush soaked in water to loosen the green color and "chip" the paint.  I also used a pin, sharpened toothpick, and Xacto blade to scratch the surface some more and add to the effect.

I had considered building two at once, but decided against it this is a rather complicated build, with all of the wing options.  Maybe next time!

Thank you everyone for looking in!

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers mate, yes indeed!  Lots of progress, though the nature of this part of the kit makes for unexciting progress photos.  Have spent many hours cleaning up parts for the center wing section, masking for three different colors of paint, and weathering.  I will get some photos in the next day or two to put up!

Thanks for following along!