Tamiya Spitfire MK IX- Battle of Britain

From underneath,

IMG_20160325_212606.jpg

Once this set, I added the engine. Some fiddling was required and in the end,I wasn't able to completely eliminate all the various gaps.

IMG_20160325_213023.jpg

I think a couple parts were slightly warped too.

IMG_20160325_213031.jpg

The above gap closed up after some careful glue applications.

IMG_20160325_213850.jpg

The fit is the worst along the leading edge of the wing root.

IMG_20160325_213859.jpg

I'll see if I can tighten it up a bit more. Otherwise, the main assembly is now complete.

Carl

I don't recall seeing that brand of setabelts before Carl but they look most excellent. :punk:

The whole cockpit assembly looks stellar. Good job.

Any thoughts? Should I trim the chute pack and/or seat down a bit and get him to sit lower? Or will he fit OK?

Carl

It does n't look like the Masterdetails figure will fit to me. :unsure:

I suspect you'll need to adjust something along the way. Parachute pack, seat height or something.....

Interesting issues with the cowlings. I wonder why they had gaps? Something I shall watch out for on my build. Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers.

I don't recall seeing that brand of setabelts before Carl but they look most excellent. :punk:

The whole cockpit assembly looks stellar. Good job.

It does n't look like the Masterdetails figure will fit to me. :unsure:

I suspect you'll need to adjust something along the way. Parachute pack, seat height or something.....

Interesting issues with the cowlings. I wonder why they had gaps? Something I shall watch out for on my build. Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers.

Thanks Guy! I picked up the seatbelts from HLJ but my LHS now carries them too. They're Japanese and are laser cut.

I've started trimming the chute pack and the seat both so hopefully I'll get a suitable fit.

As for the cowlings, this is my fifth Tamiya Spitfire and the first with any issues there so I suspect that something must have ended up misaligned. So I'm certain it was very much the exception to the rule.

Carl

A Tamiya Spitfire with fit issues, wow, so the nice people from Tamiya are mortal after all, it can happen, I'm building two Hobbyboss Spitfires, the first went together great, the second not as well and they are the same kit. Good job us modellers can cope with these things.

Cheers

Dennis

I'm kind of lost for words about those fit issues Carl, it just doesn't make sense for a Tamiya Spit not to come together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle......so puzzled I am!!!

Max

Hi Max,

It certainly threw me for a curve as well. I'm so used to their kits just going together that I've often find my own way in terms of build order knowing it would all go together.

I guess it goes to show you about being a little too comfortable.

Nah, mine's weren't perfect either, but it may be slightly better than what you are experiencing now.

I've had two go together perfectly, two where there was a bit of fiddling and one where it didn't matter since I was swaping in a completely new nose section. Of the two fiddly ones, this needed the most tweaking. It's still not bad and much less than I needed on my PCM kit so I can't really complain.

A Tamiya Spitfire with fit issues, wow, so the nice people from Tamiya are mortal after all, it can happen, I'm building two Hobbyboss Spitfires, the first went together great, the second not as well and they are the same kit. Good job us modellers can cope with these things.

Cheers

Dennis

That's very true Dennis!

Carl

I've had two go together perfectly, two where there was a bit of fiddling and one where it didn't matter since I was swaping in a completely new nose section. Of the two fiddly ones, this needed the most tweaking. It's still not bad and much less than I needed on my PCM kit so I can't really complain.

Yah, definitely! The Tamiya kit was a pleasurable experience compared to the Revell. The fit isn't bad, but it required sanding and cleaning which the the Tamiya required very little, if any. I ordered a Mk VIII and will be building it slowly and deliberately. I'll treat it like how all the excellent modelers on this forum do -- every part is treated like a project of it's own. I'm starting feel like I'm on an assembly line..lately.

I had the right side panel give me some issues on my build. Found the Oil pump p/n x17 was interfering. I removed it and tossed it as i was doing a closed cowl build. After that everything was good, until i dropped it (again!!), fit was off after that....

Don

Hi Don, it wasn't X17 as I didn't install any if the engine details. I think I must have induced a slight twist somewhere.

Maru, it wasn't too bad. Just more unexpected was all.

I finally got to the bench and made a bit more progress. I masked off the wheel wells and sprayed a coat of Gunze Sky .

IMG_20160328_223809.jpg

IMG_20160328_225245.jpg

It might need another coat but I'll check later and see.

Carl

I had the right side panel give me some issues on my build. Found the Oil pump p/n x17 was interfering. I removed it.......

Don

Yep, that oil pump is a piece too far for me too Don, I'm going to fit it but I've had to "engineer" a way of doing it and it will be slightly out of position.

Max