First Look - Civilized Models 1/32 BD-5J resin kit

seiran01

Civilized Models' first 1/32 release, the BD-5J, just landed. Tiny little thing, and pretty damn nice! I'm running around the next few days and will try to do a proper review, but for a quick peek...

Resin casting is flawless - Not a hint of an air bubble or mold defect anywhere. The to-be-expected mold separation lines and remaining pour stubs on the fuselage are restrained to the bottom and lower sides. All appears to be well aligned from the casting so sandpaper without putty should do the trick nicely.

The instruction booklet contains a lot of text to help with the build, 2x vac canopies are crystal clear and free of distortion. Decals (ALPS printed, I believe) look great and are printed face down. Looking forward to this being quite a fast build.

There are six versions available ("Stock Version", "Acrojets", "Pepsi", "Budweiser", "Bud Light", and "Coors Light") and the difference with these is only the decal sheet. The kits are available at https://www.civilizedmodels.com/1-32-civil for $50 plus postage. 

YtNUmGl.jpg?1

SuCNvoP.jpg?1

CYz2UMs.jpg?2

gB5rQ6l.jpg?1

wgTr6Mo.jpg?2

AWCz0t0.jpg?1

W6bEebQ.jpg?1

Guest Peterpools

MIke

Thanks for the photos and absolutely will be ordering a few the next few days.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Mike

What the heck, just couldn't hold back and ordered two BD-5J's.

Stock and Budwiser

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thank god they didn't replicate all those pop rivets all over the little kite, right? Lol.

Now all we need is some aftermarket vintage shag carpet in avocado green or gold and a little “late great†Roger Moore figure.

To the BD-5 and beyond!

Guest Peterpools

Of course there is always the new Microjet version and the possibility of backdating the J to the original  pusher prop design.

Peter

I always wanted to build and fly one of these kites. I have the original plans somewhere. I also have the original flight manual somewhere in California. Some how helicopters intervened and the rest is history. Looks like a little jewel of a kit however.

The size comparison next to the plastic spoon is too funny. Thanks for sharing this one with us.

Troy

Guest Peterpools

Troy

Same here on always wanted to build the BD-5 pusher prop as soon as Jim announced the kit but time and life always got in the way. Settled on spending my flying hours in GA aircraft and a few sport planes as well along the way. Can only imagine the feel of strapping on a BD-5J and and lighting up the sky.

Sure is going to be tiny and will take a bit getting use to working on a model so small.

Peter

Thx for the pics. Mine should arrive in a few weeks. Cant wait to get my hands on it.

I'm thinking some pins might be usefull to hold the wings to the fuselage, and I'll be adding Airscale cockpit decals to that IP.

Still hoping that someone will make these decals :

csm_Bede_BD5J-01_a89eedd728.jpg

Ironic that the model isn't much smaller than the original. :frantic: :lol:  I'd love a real one but I wonder if the FAA would allow a teardrop fairing to get the seat lower down for me.

Cool little kit!