Looking for a really good 1/32 P-51D at a good price?

Juggernut

I just picked up another (I have one built and will now have another in the stash which I will build as a -5) Tamiya 1/32 P-51D for $99 shipped.  Where did I get this bargain you might ask?  Tamiya USA I'll respond.  Unfortunately, the offer is only open to US residents who have full US addresses (no PO boxes [i don't know about APO's or FPO's]).  Every Tamiya 1/32 P-51D I can find anywhere on the internet (including Ebay) costs in excess of $100 and doesn't come with free shipping for the most part.  The best price I could find outside of Tamiya USA was $119.99 with free shipping.

Yes, you can buy three 1/32 Revell P-51D's for the price of one of the Tamiya kits but at what level of frustration when the canopy needs to be replaced (if only because it's not clear) and if you're wanting a -10 or later, you're stuck (for the foreseeable future) either scratch-building or purchasing an aftermarket filleted tail (the quality of which may be questionable) or searching for an unused Tamiya tail.  Then there's the reported issues with some of the molded parts having sink marks in them, soft details (admittedly a personal observation based on photos I've seen of some of the kit parts).  Does this make me a Tamiya "fan-boy"?  I guess it does and at my age, it's perfectly fine.  Is the Tamiya kit perfect?  Not only no but HELL NO.  Those knockout pin marks on the upper wheel well part drives me insane.  I make no claims about the accuracy in minutia but overall, it's pretty damned accurate.  Does this mean the Revell kit is unbuildable/junk?  YES :whistle: :wicked: Again, not only No but HELL NO.  It's completely buildable and well researched it just needs some replacement parts due to the production processes used and a little TLC.  This ain't about comparisons really, it's just me crowing about my choice and thinking I got a good deal on a great kit, to let you know that if you're in the USA you can get one too...and a couple reasons why I chose it.  No ruffled feathers if you've chosen otherwise, it's all good, friends.  You all work/worked hard for your hobby dollars so spend em the way you want. 

To each his/her own but my money's better spent in building and finishing rather than sourcing replacement parts.  The only aftermarket that the Tamiya Mustang really needs, in my humble opinion, is replacement tires as I dislike the rubber ones provided in the kit even though they're totally acceptable and light years ahead of any of the offerings of the same type from other manufacturers.  I could include decals as well as Tamiya decals are notoriously thick and unresponsive...so two items in total.

Edited by Juggernut

The best price I could find outside of Tamiya USA was $119.99 with free shipping.

You're not looking in the right places. There are more than 4 sellers that have lower prices on that kit with free shipping listed on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004WBBZWA/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Almost done with a Revell P-51D, and can say from experience with it that you get what you pay for.

D

You're not looking in the right places. There are more than 4 sellers that have lower prices on that kit with free shipping listed on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004WBBZWA/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Almost done with a Revell P-51D, and can say from experience with it that you get what you pay for.

D

Ok, so why save $2.30 and have to wait a month for it to arrive from japan? I have ordered a few Mustangs and Spitfires from Tamiya USA and had them within the week. I tend to agree with Juggernut, it's hard to argue with Tamiya quality. Having built one Revell, and having another in my stash, I will probably build the Tamiya next. The Revell requires so much filler work, especially on a NMF, it easily takes just as Lang as the Tamiya build.

The Tamiya may cost 3 times the Revell but I'm not sure it will not give me 3 times the fun I'm having with the Revell.

If you're not sure it will not give you 3 times the fun, does that mean you are sure that Tamiya will give you 3 times the fun over the Revell? Isn't that how double negatives work?

If you're not sure it will not give you 3 times the fun, does that mean you are sure that Tamiya will give you 3 times the fun over the Revell? Isn't that how double negatives work?

Corrected! :doh:

Sorry Dave!

I've seen my share of model kits in my time but the Revell Mustang strikes me as exceptional.

The Tamiya is indeed the superior kit but it just doesn't have the fun factor the Revell has.

Not easy to explain. It's just like guitars. Some have mojo, some don't.

Quang

Edited by quang

I am currently building the Revell 1/32 Mustang and having a blast. It's a fantastic kit, fairly easy and quick to build, detailed to the level I like (I'm not a fan of the 400+ parts Tamiya's), accurate, and dirt cheap (my favorite attribute!!!). The only fit issue I have experienced is the fuselage would not close up properly, making the cockpit opening too wide with the canopy/windscreen not fitting properly as a result of the excessive width. That problem was easily solved by sanding down the interior fuselage framing to about half the width of the original kit parts. Took me all of 10 minutes to do that, and now the cockpit opening is the correct width and the canopy/windscreen fit properly. There are some sink marks that need filling, especially on the flaps, but that was super easy to do since the flaps are flat with no detail to erase when you sand. I just built a Tamiya F-16 and while there are no sink marks, there are ejector pin marks everywhere that need filling (typical Tamiya) that were far more difficult to deal with than Revell's sink marks. Other than the sink marks, I have not used a drop of filler on the Revell kit and I have not experienced the fit issues others have. My canopy/windscreen only have a small amount of distortion and this is mainly due to Revell molding the interior bulletproof glass integral with the windscreen to solve the problem of getting glue smudges all over the windscreen when you attach it. All in all, I think the Revell kit is a fantastic kit, and maybe even a contender for kit of the year. When you consider the cost of the Revell kit (I got mine for under $25 delivered) it's an even more fantastic kit. 

I too am really looking forward to tackling my Revell copy!    I've got a few bits of AM (hollow QB exhausts, resin wheels I already had, Eduard new tool color IP PE, resin flaps, and custom home made paint masks for "Horses Itch" and 357th FG checkers) and hope to make a good start at some point.

I was also noticing that I had not seen the box art for Revells filleted version, but appears it will contain at least one 506th FG "VLR" Mustang:

editor-171111-5a06e111ed1c0-1600x935.jpe

No, I don't think so. This was a pic pulled from a sneak peak at Telford last year.

Whew! Just as I finished the fillet on mine B)

Thanks Brian for the clarification.

Quang

Hey, Revell is still a lot of bang for the buck. Yes, Tamiya is nicer, but so is the price. Revell is cheaper and requires more work, so what. I might build one Tamiya in my life, but would probably build 3 Revell! Sometimes having a kit that takes some skill of a modeler to resolve has more satisfaction than a shake and bake kit. Just my honest opinon. Yes, there are some stinker kits to stay away from because of to many problems, but this new kit ain't one of em!

:tumble: