Encouraging News re: a 1/32 TBD Devastator

Bill M.

7 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Agreed. Let's get the kit delivered, and see which team did the work. THEN when that is known, start the dog-pile. 

Hear,hear, I agree with you hard to tell the details from the testbuild/photos , it looks pretty good to me so far and I', certainly not an expert on the thing, let's be cool for the time being. When it comes out then and only then we'll be able to pick the fly dung out of the pepper.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 6:52 PM, quang said:

Reassure me… you’re joking, right? :hmmm:

Of Course! :evil_laugh: I was making and assumption based on the box art. Lol. You never know hopefully the ‘Boss have brought the A-Team in on this one, otherwise ‘I pity the fools!’ 

Edited by Pup7309

On 3/7/2023 at 7:01 PM, Dave Williams said:

Looks like preorders are now available at Squadron and Kitlinx.

Oh my I journeyed to Squadron saw the preorder and preordered… the Ontos instead.  :rolleyes:

I think I will wait on the Devastator. Trumpeter started this kit years ago.  The same era that gave us the “Wildcat”.  I so hope I am being too cautious.  

Kind of in the same place as Rick on this one. This is one of those subjects I've been excited about since it was announced....how many years ago?:blink::lol: However, I will hold off a bit to see more before buying.

I bought the Trumpy Ju-87A, the moment it was available and built it right away. That kit has a ton of issues, many of which I was able to fix, or at least improve, but it was a lot more work than I had bargained for. I still love the finished product and it's one of my most prized builds. Just hoping I don't have to go to the same lengths to get a nice looking Devastator. Still hopeful, though.

John

I sort of agree with much of the sentiment expressed here. The TBD has been one of my biggest wants for years, but I really worried that Trumpeter could screw it up. It was mentioned that it was first announced about the same time as the Wildcat was released. True that. But while the Wildcat was not their best effort, it wasn’t their worse effort either. Remember that the same period in Trumpeter history gave us the very acceptable SBD and TBF/ TBM kits.  I am hoping the TBD will be that good. The way I see it this will be our only chance for 1/32 Devastator.

So far, I have resisted the temptation of preordering one.  I’ll probably buy one for sure, but I figure there will be plenty to go around.

Bill M.

6 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hi John, I have the 87A, what was the worst issue you faced ?

Mike,

From memory, the biggest issues I recall start with the nose. Not just the spinner and prop blades, but the intakes and the position of the exhaust, also. I was able to improve the intakes and prop/spinner, but to actually "fix" the nose would require major surgery to correct the angle that the engine appears to sit at, from the position of the exhaust. I've seen a couple of other builds since then that have actually done a good job of tackling that issue, but it's not for the squeamish. :lol: I'm also now recalling something about how the exhaust pipes protrude that was off, as well, but would have to go back to the WIP and look. The other big one is the shape of the wheel spats. They need to be cut back at the bottom to the correct angle. I seem to remember slight mods to the tail, as well. There were a bunch of other, smaller items, also, but this is what stands out in my memory. I must say that the fit of the kit was generally great, however. 

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

OK I will try allay some fears on 1/32 TBD.... So we have the ANCIENT decent 1/48 Monogram kit and the Excellent Great wall kit in 1/48 ...which I am assuming Trumpeter may take a look at..So I think we may get a decent product...

'''Look at the 1/48 HB F3H Demon  They basically copied the Grand Phoenix kit.  If they copy the Great wall and scale it up we are good to go!!

Steve,

12 hours ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Mike,

From memory, the biggest issues I recall start with the nose. Not just the spinner and prop blades, but the intakes and the position of the exhaust, also. I was able to improve the intakes and prop/spinner, but to actually "fix" the nose would require major surgery to correct the angle that the engine appears to sit at, from the position of the exhaust. I've seen a couple of other builds since then that have actually done a good job of tackling that issue, but it's not for the squeamish. :lol: I'm also now recalling something about how the exhaust pipes protrude that was off, as well, but would have to go back to the WIP and look. The other big one is the shape of the wheel spats. They need to be cut back at the bottom to the correct angle. I seem to remember slight mods to the tail, as well. There were a bunch of other, smaller items, also, but this is what stands out in my memory. I must say that the fit of the kit was generally great, however. 

John

Also from what I recall the rear part of the fuselage is around 24mm to long. Cheers.

33 minutes ago, scorvi said:

OK I will try allay some fears on 1/32 TBD.... So we have the ANCIENT decent 1/48 Monogram kit and the Excellent Great wall kit in 1/48 ...which I am assuming Trumpeter may take a look at..So I think we may get a decent product...

'''Look at the 1/48 HB F3H Demon  They basically copied the Grand Phoenix kit.  If they copy the Great wall and scale it up we are good to go!!

Steve,

That’s kind of what I’m hoping.  I’ve always suspected that their SBD and TBF/TBM had some Accurate Miniatures DNA in them.