Is the Revell Germany RF-4C nose accurate in shape.

oyoy5

Sorry, maybe it's just me, but those Revell canopy parts are ghastly.

Look more like an F4H-1 prototype.

If Revell fixed that its RF-4C would be a star. Opaque plastic parts like LG can be faffed with, clear parts can't so are a deal breaker - though the Revells are great for spares, including decals, pylons, the recce bits and the 600 gallon c/l tanks, old and go-fast versions.

Tony

at the time that I made my 10 Phantoms (all Revell) I had to fight with all those issues. I never changed the shape of the forward fuselage part but I reshaped the radom and the nose landing gear. (last one made from scratch) for the rear cockpit, I just cut it in 3 parts and glue them again higher...

Look at my articles for more details.

here's Ritchie's and DeBellevue's MiG Killing  F-4E and a SEA painted HAF F-4E with corected radom for example...

F-4_E-09.jpg

F-4_E-front-links1-2.jpg

Edited by Menelaos

The Tamiya IIRC first appeared only a year or two after Revell's RF-4E new tool, and both have issues.

The Tamiya jet nozzles were designed by an engineer dreaming of 1/35, the fin (vert stabiliser) is too thick at the base (vs Revell's being too thin), but they did get the canopy right and that's most of what I judge as "Phantom II-ness".

If you cut back the rear of the nasal ECS scoops on the C/D & J snub noses, remove the aiframe scabs and replace the jet nozzles on all Tamiya editions with chunkier cans you get a great Phantom II. There exist lots of other more subtle changes needed but, frankly, only an F-4 aficionado would pick them up, hence its universal appeal as "the best game in town" for the past twenty years. Actually, more like 23, nearly.

Ultimately, modellers need Tan Model to come true to their pledge and deliver its RF/F-4E - the "long noses" we desperately need. Ditto Hong Kong Models with its R-R Spey-powered Tooms.

Oh, yes pleeze!

Tony

. Doink Dot

Edited by Tony T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

back again guys as I need a bit of information on F4 Phantoms re the fitting of suu 23's after buying over thirty books on the phantom inc the double ugly series .I still need more info.

I know from reading through several of my books I know that Phantoms mark C/D were fitted with these , single under the fuselage , and two ,one on each inner pylon , this was the most that they were allowed to carry . I have a few pics of these carrying one under the fuselage , but none carrying the blunt ended one on the wing pylons , which I want to portray. does anyone have any pics of these , and could any unit /squadron carry them as I know each could be 'loaded up' for any particular mission . any help guys ? .. regards Jim

I'm at the point where I can sell the nose etc parts for the Revell RF-4, including Avionix bits, to convert a Tamiya F-4 into a recce.

Ditto two sets of Zacto canopy & inlet correction sets for the A-7, though you would be buying two SLUFs with Aires wells installed as two aiframes with little in the way of stores except ex-Tamiya bomb racks. Will never finish them. Not yet closed up so the canopy parts are effectively virgin.

PM me if you're in the UK and interested. Like most LSP'ers here, I aim to help and not profit. You'ld be getting the parts for less than I paid for them.

Tony

back again guys as I need a bit of information on F4 Phantoms re the fitting of suu 23's after buying over thirty books on the phantom inc the double ugly series .I still need more info.

I know from reading through several of my books I know that Phantoms mark C/D were fitted with these , single under the fuselage , and two ,one on each inner pylon , this was the most that they were allowed to carry . I have a few pics of these carrying one under the fuselage , but none carrying the blunt ended one on the wing pylons , which I want to portray. does anyone have any pics of these , and could any unit /squadron carry them as I know each could be 'loaded up' for any particular mission . any help guys ? .. regards Jim

The North Dakota Guard carried blunt-end pods to Tyndall ADWC for William Tell meets carried on the right inner wing pylon.

At the meet, these would be fitted to the C/L

Tony

Hi tony I would be very interested in buying the conversions for the Phantom . This is the only post WWII airplane that I am collecting to build , as this is my all time favourite jet plane . my email is JimLeroybrown@Hotmail.co.uk .