GYPSY 203- DONE AND DUSTED

David Hansen

In case anybody was wondering what happened after i finished my F4U-2 for Bob Brunson, wait no longer...

42961841841_eafe4ec5de_h.jpg

This is "Gypsy 203". An F-14A Tomcat from VF-32, the "Swordsmen" based at NAS Oceana, VA and flown by John Lawler , an F-4 and F-14 instructor pilot. He flew F-4s in VF-74 with Heater Heatley, and then transitioned to F-14s in VF-32, flying with "Hollywood" Dishart , who was the technical advisor to Paramount for "Top Gun". After a tour in VF-32, he was assigned to VF-101 where he instructed in the F-14. John was one of my instructors when *I* was training to be an instructor at FlightSafety in Vero Beach FL.

The model is the 48th scale Tamiya kit and in case you didn't get the memo, the kit lives up to the hype. I built it  *mostly* out of the box, though i did use Quickboost Ejection Seats, Eduard pull rings, and the Furball decals sheet for East Coast Tomcat Squadrons. I don't consider myself very good at painting resin ejection seats, but i am even worse when it comes to working with photo etched belts and buckles.

42961888881_5c9d35f521_z.jpgQuickboost 48-223 by convairb58, on Flickr

The model was something of a test case for Tamiya and Mr Color paints, again using Mr Leveling Thinner like i did with my F4U-2 project. I am totally sold on Mr Color paints, especially the light gull gray. Sprays beautifully and VERY fast drying.This was also a test case for Mr Color GX-100 super clear, which has pretty much replaced Future as my "Go To" Clear gloss finish. There are some Model Master enamels here and there in places but the majority is painted with acrylics and lacquers.

42242917394_ca1db13b76_z.jpg

The model is displayed on a carrier deck base made my Mario Catania of Italy. Not easily visible, but i used some wheel chocks made by Wheeliant (part no. 148-004). Although delicate they painted up well.

41584534034_cda15bdc65_h.jpg

42306173921_38240984cf_h.jpg

I'll take some better photos, once i get access to my friends photo studio. But with this one in the books, i can turn to CORKTIP 632 and get thru the drudgery of cockpit and internals for that.... In any case, this is my second most favourite model aeroplane kit i've built; only the 32nd scale Tamiya Corsair is better.

Hope you likee,

-d-

David, 

Very nice F-14! I appreciate all the backstory too, and even recognize some of the names, but just from being a rabid F-14 fan!  It was a SAD day when the F-14 had its final cat shot. 

The high vis markings were so much cooler than the low vis stuff.  

Anyway, awesome build!

Guest Peterpools

David

Absolutely brilliant - one Gorgeous Tomcat. Flawless build and finish and as we discussed, nothing like Mr Color paints.

terrific attention to the details, especially all the stencils which I missed a few after seeing your decal work.

Aces on the display base as well and the nhistory behind your build.- surely brings home the bacon!

BTW, glad you pointed me in the right direction with the Quickboost ejections seats as mine are now fitted in the front office as well - great call.

Completely agree: Tamiya's 48th scale Tomcat is the pick of the litter as their top cat in any scale.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Peter

Oooh....TOMCATS are MY favorites .. :wub:

Your story behind the build is Sweet.

:clap2:

Your F-14 is STUNNING.

Thank you for sharing it.

Liking the base too.

Would love to see More outside photos if it was possible.

SUPERB work.

:wow:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I plan to generate more photos with a better camera in the next few days.

David

Absolutely brilliant - one Gorgeous Tomcat. Flawless build and finish and as we discussed, nothing like Mr Color paints.

terrific attention to the details, especially all the stencils which I missed a few after seeing your decal work.

Aces on the display base as well and the nhistory behind your build.- surely brings home the bacon!

BTW, glad you pointed me in the right direction with the Quickboost ejections seats as mine are now fitted in the front office as well - great call.

Completely agree: Tamiya's 48th scale Tomcat is the pick of the litter as their top cat in any scale.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Peter

Yeah its really a great kit. The cockpit could be a *little* better but not by much. I have the Eduard Brassin set and it is definitely an improvement, but lots more work to put together. It reminds me a lot of building up the Tamiya Corsair Cockpit, and then putting on all the Barracuda placards. The result will be breathtaking, but it will suck a lot of wind out of your sails by the time you get finished with it.

If you're a cockpit nut then Bully for You....but myself i'm really more of a paint schemes guy. i WILL say that while the Quickboost seats are a tremendous improvement over the kit ones, the overhead face curtain pull handles are very fussy and i couldn't get em to turn out right.

Here is a comparison i made of the three seats- The Tamiya Seat , The Quickboost seat pretty much as-is, and the Quickboost seat with the Eduard handles.

42925939752_9495ec2a9c_h.jpgEjection Seat Comparison 001 by convairb58, on Flickr

David, 

Very nice F-14! I appreciate all the backstory too, and even recognize some of the names, but just from being a rabid F-14 fan!  It was a SAD day when the F-14 had its final cat shot. 

The high vis markings were so much cooler than the low vis stuff.  

Anyway, awesome build!

Yes they were.

And for someone who cant weather planes worth a damn, and who likes em clean and shiny...its right up my alley.

-d-