M24 Chaffee (WAK)

Tomek

Thanks Maru! Could be better of course, but this supposed to be a relaxing model for me ;)

Mark, I'm pretty sure the arms as well as the rest of the suspension system will handle the weight of the model. The arms are hollow but short, so there is no room even for some twist. In addition the glue I'm using (O'glue) penetrates cardstock and stiffens it. The shock absorbers resting on the torsion arms should also strengthen the whole system. See picture below.

39.jpg

Anyway, I got a little bit curious how much abuse this construction can withstand. With all torsion bars properly aligned to distribute the weight equally, I was confident it can pass a test. The container filled with plastic beads is at least three times heavier than the model itself :P .

IMG_0105.jpg

Edited by Tomek

Thanks guys! ^_^

This update is about the shock absorbers and arm bumper spring brackets. Not much, but including nuts it was about 200 elements to cut, form and glue :rolleyes:

IMG_0108-1.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

And as usual a general shot:

IMG_0118-1.jpg

One more update to finish the suspension and close some logical stage for this build. Then I'm going back to the DH.6.

Thanks for looking in!

Edited by Tomek

I feel your pain on those shock absorbers and bumper posts. I've made many a one in plastic before I started casting. Very tedious, not to mention mind-numbingly repetitive. Great stuff, Tomek.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your comments.

I'm not complaining about tedious tasks. Sometimes they are actually welcome as in this case. As I said before, this build serves the role of an occasional distraction for other builds. I needed time to form an attack plan for the next stage of DH.6 build, and I can't simply let my hands rest while I'm brainstorming. That would seem like waste of my time :rolleyes:

I supposed to finish the suspension here first, but my head got so loaded with ideas for the Dung Hunter that I decided it's good time to switch back. I'm really excited to get back to her :evil_laugh:

Edited by Tomek

I'm Late...,

Hi Tomek,

For some reason I missed your tank post till now. The mud detail is interesting but seems "flat" in all the photos. I think it's easier to build to paint. It would allow welding beads to be made from cold porcelain or modeling paste without worrying about media color matching. Mud could be thinned spackle spattered on with a stiff brush etc. The treads will probably require a lacquer based paint so that detail will not be filled followed by the usual distress things...,

+Gil

Edited by Gil

Thanks Gil for your imput!

I've never painted the whole model, but what I can see based on experiences of modelers who do it rutinely, building process seems easier. No worries about retouching edges, seams can be sanded if there is any imperfection, etc. I know you know about it better than me. Eventually I would like to do it for armor. Building a paper model in a standard way is a challenge, but there is certain satisfaction in a finish which tries to mimic real object as close to possible. I would like to attempt something like this here (i.e. no paiting).

Thanks for your opinion about the mud detail. I really appreciate it, especially that after staring at it for quite a while, I can't tell if I like it or not. But I think you right, it looks flat. Initially I wanted to keep it just for the sake of having such model on the shelf, but maybe with some effort I could do better. Thanks for the tips, I'll definetly look at such techniques.

The treads will be sealed with the nitrate dope. That should give a nice base for paint and should harden the fragile detail.

• 10 months later...

Thanks Jerry.

Maru,

I haven't touched the tank since the last update. In the meantime, on my other projects, I worked a bit with the nitrate dope and I'm quite confident that it should work well in case of the treads.

Anyway, M24 is on a back burner and will stay that way for a while (but that was anticipated ;) ). I'm trying to focus first on the project below (bullozer Komatsu G-40), than come back to my Piper Grasshopper. Hopefully next year I will find time to fiddle bit more with the tank.

IMG_1243_zpsfae3f567.jpg

• 1 year later...

It's been two years since my last update in this build  :blush:. The tank spent most of that time safely in a box, waiting for better times...

Recently, I finally have found some time for modeling and It seemed like a good idea to warm up a little bit before returning full steam to the Cub. This model looked perfect for that purpose. I manged to complete the whole set of wheels. While working on them, my concept for this model finally crystallized. I decided do something similar as in Komatsu build, only using different techniques (got to learn something new!). The undercarriage with printed mud detail will be covered with my take on it; the top stays as it is, except some light weathering. Hard not to agree, that the printed mud looks flat, so something has to be done with it. The wheels you can see below will be heavily weathered (it's not a final product)

06565261-e48e-48fe-9714-9f7de10298cc_zps

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Nice update, Tomek.  It's good to have you back.  I have been wondering about you recently.  It must have been the brain waves connecting over space and time that has brought you back.  I for one, have missed you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Wow (again!)...

Card modelling is a dark art to most of us - fascinating to see the processes (and detail!!) involved - *real* modelling.

Just brilliant!  :thumbsup:

Iain