M24 Chaffee (WAK)

Tomek

This project supposed to serve as an occasional distraction to my DH.6 and probably because of its massiveness few other airplanes in the future.

After finishing the engine for de Havilland aircraft I felt I'm running out of steam. To recharge my batteries, I thought, a change of subject would be the best. Armor is my other passion and for a while I've been longing for building some tank.

The kit published by WAK is in standard for card armor scale 1:25. It has 12 pages of parts (in comparison the P-39 I build before had only 4). I'll be getting for this project laser cut and engraved treads, which not only should speed up the work, but also look better than my manual work. Printed detail is very nice and includes even weathering. Most interestingly the designer tried to simulate in this kit mud covering lower parts of the tank. Up-close it doesn't look too convincing, but in normal distance view I hope it will look much better. Will see, I'm curious myself.

Actually, I started this kit over a year ago. My progress at that time stopped on treating the sheets with parts with MM flat lacquer, laminating formers to 1mm cardboard and cutting them out. Since then the kit has been waiting patiently in a box.

Cover of the kit:

IMG_0919-1.jpg

I started with building a hull. Pretty straightforward process, no problems here.

IMG_0905-1-1.jpg

IMG_0909-1.jpg

Next step was skinning it. It turned out I made some mistakes, (maybe the carboard I used was too thick? I really can't figure it out) because I had some problems with fit of the top skins. I know from other build reports the fit in this kit is good, so I can blame only myself. I had to quite radically sand formers to get reasonable results. It's not perfect, but hey, it's a tank, things can be rough here http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tongue.gif . With some extra weathering, which I'm planning should be OK.

IMG_0917-1.jpg

Now it's time to cover all these white spots http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wacko.gif

Edited by Tomek

Thanks for the interest, guys.

I'm going to alternate between this project and airplanes, no worries. It may take a little bit longer between updates that's all. In exchange, I should get more fun and motivation for flying thingies.

The kit offers separate track links, and initially I was ready to tackle them ( ... just few hundred links :tumble:). Their assembly looks quite similar to what I've done with the T-40, which looked like that:

IMG_0104-1.jpg

Note that the T-40 was my fourth model ever, and I lacked a lot of skills. After seeing laser cut aftermarket in action though, I'm convinced that's the right way to go. I placed an order, so should have them soon. Even though laser cut treads are just strips (not separate links), the detail is really cool.

Some pictures of my progress soon ;)

Edited by Tomek

The kit offers separate track links, and initially I was ready to tackle them ( ... just few hundred links :tumble:).

[

Quite, quite mad!

Those tracks would drive me to the wall!

BUT! at least I can watch this build and make tank noises! :speak_cool:

Tank, tank, tank, tank, tank........................................ :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, Phil, wroooom-wrroooom :lol:

I got the package with the laser cut and engraved tracks. The detail is even better than I have expected. The only problem is I have no idea how to paint and form such cardboard strips :shrug:. I'm afraid it may crack ... got to figure it out before I attempt anything.

IMG_0015.jpg

I was also able to cover few white spots on the hull.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Details of drive housing:

IMG_0006-1.jpg

I also tried to simulate welding seams present on the tank. That's my first attempt and as you can see not fully successful. I simply used white glue mixed with paint I'm using for retouching white edges. White glue shrinks substantially, so I had to put few layers. After drying color has changed to much darker than desired. I tried to powder it with chalk, but I don't like the results. There is too big difference in color. I'll be working on this later on while trying to weather the tank. Right now is too early.

IMG_0001.jpg

Some welding seams were attempted in the rear:

IMG_0009-2.jpg

That's for now. I think I'll do here one more update then back to DH.6. I feel I'm getting the right vibe for the biplane ;)

Edited by Tomek

About the tracks: if you contact the manufacturer, I'm sure they can help you solve the construction problem.

About the weld bead: the problem lies in that the color of the model is 4 color (offset?) printed on white stock to obtain the OD ground. It is made of magenta, cyan, yellow & black on a white ground. The white influences the printed color because the ink is not laid down opaque. Paint is OD pigment, there is no other influencing color(s), and from the looks of it you have laid it down as opaque on a non-opaque coating. You'll never match same color of dissimilar materials. To match you will need to color the entire model with paint.

To obtain what appears as to be a cast lower hull texture you may need to apply a coat of putty. You may need to seal the paper first.

Just my observation.

Sincerely,

Mark

Derek, thanks for the interest!

Mark,

You're absolutely right. A skill to mix paint to match existing color is one factor (I'm still struggling with that), the other is just the limitations of the offset printing process.

My goal eventually is to paint armor models entirely. The realism of a painted model is much higher and card models are quite suitable for that.

Here though, I would like to retain as much as possible from the original kit coloring. First, because I haven't seen many paper kits with muddy lower hull textures and simply I would like to have such thing on my shelf (I think you have mistaken it for a cast texture, LOL - I guess it doesn't look too convincing after all). Second, I'll be trying here to follow an interesting trend in armor paper modeling, which pushes an envelope of the genre. Weathering original print is not commonly attempted, but those few modelers I've seen doing it produce remarkable results. Better than can be expected. I don't think I can get any close to what I've seen, but this is a learning experience for me. I'm not afraid to make mistakes and I hope it will benefit my airplane models, which I don't have desire to paint.

Anyway, my plan is to keep the muddy lower hull and let it go a little on the upper part. I'm thinking about trying chalks, oil dot-filters, washes, color pencil scratches, etc. This way at least the difference between print and paint/chalk can be reduced to acceptable levels. Or that's what I hope will happen ;) .

Edited by Tomek

Hi Tomek – love it!!! This is a very cool project, and something new for me to see. :speak_cool:

Yes keep pushing that envelope it keeps life interesting, Whack some mud colour powders down the seem and gently brush out and use that to blend in should look quite convincing. These beasties didn’t stay clean very long!!! Top, bottom or sides.

Those tracks look amazing can't wait to see you fitting them on. Also glad to see you have got the lust back for the plane looking forward to the next update.

Happy Days - Taff :D

:hmmm: This is interesting, to say the least. Tomek, I think you to be a might crazzy....but thats "good" crazy. Will be following with interest.....Harv :popcorn:

The whole card modelling thing is actually very interesting from an historical point of view. It feels - to me at least - like going back to our modelling roots somewhat? Before the advent of the now taken for granted injection plastic moulded kit, apart from wood, this was just about the only option open to you as a modeller to make anything. Of course, the more well off you were, the better were the materials that you could afford to buy, but the skill levels required were just the same (this has just reminded me that my father once made a submarine model out of brown paper, card and glue when I was vey young - it fell apart when he carried out some 'sea trials' in a hot bath tub!).

Wheras some Countries developed the model hobby into injection moulded kits, others developed card and paper kits, which probably explains the very high quality of the european offerings - it is a little ironic that we are now using them to show us the way to scratch build large scale model aircraft!

OK, back to your scheduled viewing now folks...

Derek

Thanks guys for looking in ^_^

First let me apologize for messed up colors in some of the pictures. I used green background and my point-and-shoot for some reason went color crazy. I tried to fix it using computer software, but without much success. No more green background! I'm too lazy to take the pictures again. Pictures on the cutting mat show more accurate colors.

This episode will be about the return roller axles and torsion bar suspension.

IMG_0098-1.jpg

Details of assembly of the torsion bar housing and torsion bars themselves:

IMG_0076-1.jpg

IMG_0071-1.jpg

And few general shots:

IMG_0083-1.jpg

IMG_0089-1.jpg

Don't you think the tank looks in the last photo like some kind of clumsy insect on its back? ;)