Can't figure it out: Airbrush and Lacquer primer problem

Gazzas

It sounds like you simply dont thin you paint / primer enough.

What is the consistancy of your mix?

I've thinned it with Gunze slef-levelling primer, and used that to thin it enough to avoid texture.  It's very thin, virtually half thinner.  But I've had lift issues, so I'm not sure where to put my faith, currently.

Gaz

If you have a decent compressor, use a small spray gun.

Cheers,

Martin

I know virtually nothing about air guns.  Is there a sizing guide other than small?  Surely one that is used to paint a 1/1 scale car would be too big for a model builder?

Gaz

Gaz, the ones we're talking about are known as spotting guns. They are for touching in small areas of repair, with out doing the whole panel, or they're used for doing the flanges round door shuts, door skins, bonnets and boots before the main spray.

They really are best for models. I've just this minute clear coated five slot cars to a glass-like finish with one, spraying spray-gun-ready Akrifan one shot clear coat, complete with decals.

Cheers,

Martin

"fancy blue anodized was a measly 18 quid."

Sounds nice but is not a viable search on Google. You got a link per chance?

No, just enquire at your local auto body refinishers' suppliers.  They all do them.

Martin

I have a smallish compressor I bought from an Irish gentleman with a nice new transit van, who called at a boatyard where we were out with our old canal boat.  Seemed that air tools might take some of the work out of the jobs needed to restore a full length wooden historic ex working boat, so I gave him 40 quid for it.  It has a tank and turns on and off regularly, but I doubt if it gives 8cfm and yet that's what I use with my spotting gun and my son has used an LPHV gun to spray his car with an identical machine.  I'm sure my spotting gun doesn't demand that kind of capacity and even if it did, you're off more than on with a spotting gun spraying a model.

Of course it won't work with a tiddly airbrush compressor!  I have such a tiddler compressor, but I use it with my airbrushes, 2 Paasche Model Hs and a pair of double actions that I use for weathering and scenery.

Cheers,

Martin

I can use both of my paint guns with the compresser I have but the it runs the entire time I'm spraying. It gets really hot and starts pulsing. I think the one I have puts out 2.0 to 2.5 cfm and was pretty cheap.

I guess I need to say I have 2 airbrush comptessors. One is an tankless that runs till you turn it off that I have owned 30+ years and one irecently got that is a 2 piston compressor with.a one gallon tank. The new one puts out about the same cfm as my bigger compressor

Well, how long are using it for?  I can do 3 slot car bodies in whatever paint I'm using and clean the gun thoroughly while my tea cools down and put it all away in the 2 storage sheds I use.  It's hardly ever stopped, because the hose leaks!  But I turn it off and use the tank capacity for cleaning the gun.  Spray through with cellulose thinners, then a bit more with finger over the nozzle so it blows back through, then another spray through, but leave some in the cup so it doesn't dry out.  Drink tea at comfortable temperature.

Martin