Dewoitine D.500 [1:32 Dora Wings]

13 hours ago, Mark_C said:

Just a thought, FWIW.  I have succesfully filled those gaps with putty (like the old Squadron Green and White), but instead of sanding it down, just dipped a Q-tip or other earbud in acetone and gently stroke the putty before it's completely dry.  It should just come off and leave a neat, smooth surface so you won't have to worry about losing detail.  Of course, you will likely have to mask the little rivet holes already there. 

It might be worthwhile to try.

HTH

Thanks for the suggestion.  I may give that a whirl.  I've also seen people do that with e.g. Mr Surfacer and smooth with lacquer thinner....

Great progress Alex! It's a great looking plane and kit. I know I've seen some 3D printed upgrades for the kit, including a new rudder without that nasty seam. Might be worth a check

Matt 

This is the before and after on the exhaust stacks.

pm9XCCL2j

pnc27zOEj

I maybe still need to try and coax the ends into a little bit rounder shape, but they're an improvement.

I cut some masks (by "tracing" the holes with a scalpel blade) for the fuselage so I can weather the exhausts after I paint the fuselage around them.

pny4S73Gj

Of course just as I'm starting to pick up momentum on this model, I'm traveling for work for the next week, then my daughter and granddaughter are visiting the week after.  The latter at least will be lots of fun, but I don't anticipate a lot of project time while they're here....

7 hours ago, Alex said:

This is the before and after on the exhaust stacks....

... and that's the difference! Great job!

Do you have any plans for the radiator right behind?

3 hours ago, Jaro said:

... and that's the difference! Great job!

Do you have any plans for the radiator right behind?

Thanks!  From what I can see, the radiators are mostly hidden by the louvers in front and the fuel tank behind them (odd place for it), so I’m going to stick with the kit plastic there.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been chipping away at the stuff that needs to be done before the fuselage can be closed up on this one, because it's clear that there will be lots of fiddling to get the wings installed cleanly, but that can only begin with a completed fuselage.  The cockpit furnishings are exceedingly spare on this kit:

poosfc4jj

And since I have no reference photos at all I'm not going to engage in any unsubstantiated gizmology - just OOB.  From what I read on line, early D.500s had bare metal interiors, with the factory switching to a medium blue shade "later" in production.  The kit instructions also call out either aluminum or blue as the interior color.  Since I have no idea whether my selected scheme was early versus late, I'm going with plain aluminum.  If nothing else, you know it's the right shade, versus guessing at who knows what color of blue.

The IP decals worked out pretty well.

pn5EXnhej

I sprayed clear flat over the panels after decals, then a drop of Krystal Klear for each instrument lens.

The cockpit fits pretty nicely into the fuselage.  I am also working on the seat and included PE belts, but I will leave that out until the end of the build to make the cockpit easier to mask off when I paint the exterior.

pmKWVfiCj

Fuselage closed up, started on fixing the seams.  I've moved to gluing these (especially short-run kits) with CA, so I get my adhesive and seam filler in one shot.  It's a bit tricker than doing it with solvent cement, but in the end it saves time and sanding.

poBief5ij

With all seams fixed.  The "hood" (or I guess "bonnet" for a lot of you) that fits over the engine bay is just a touch wider at the front than the sides of the fuselage, so I had to wedge them apart slightly with a pice of plastic tube.  Fortunately there's no model engine included, so there's lots of room for this...

pn0zAR61j

And with the hood/bonnet installed.  Having gotten to here I think I'm going to switch gears and work on my VTOL GB project for a while...  When I come back to this one it's going to be time to battle the wings.

poUFyIhVj

Edited by Alex

15 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Looks good so far Alex  :coolio: Does the kit have a pilot figure ?  :popcorn:

Nope, no pilot supplied, and that's good, because I have no figure-painting skills at all.